Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VY II Splits Install

morphix

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 VZ SV6 5-Speed Auto
I'm in the same situation with my VZ.

I replaced the stocks in front & rear when i got the car with Sony 4-Way Coaxials.

They sound decent but in the front as they are low down, some sounds get muffled.

Replacing the fronts with Kenwood KFC-P605IE splits , leaving the rears as is, i don't sit in the back and it sounds great as is.

I'm just wondering the best place to put the crossovers and also how to run the wiring to/from the crossovers to speakers & head unit without messing up the ability to pull them out later if i choose to sell the car.

I'm preferring to not severe any existing cabling, but believe i may need to (and better wiring would sound better too than factory).

After my car rego is over and done with and i finally get my transmission done, i'll get around to getting a AMP for the speakers, so then theres more fun with wiring.

Last edited:

sweefu

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina V6 / R31 Skyline
Wire them as has been mentioned above mate, you can re-solder or just twist + tape wires if you want to install the stock stereo again upon selling your car.

morphix

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 VZ SV6 5-Speed Auto
I might just snip the wires from the Sony-to-ISO harness and wire up the new speaker wires there to go the crossovers and tape the stock wire ends inside the door and dash and just leave them, that way no cutting of original wiring.

Anyone have any suggestions for suitable placement of the crossovers? And also the best way to mount them where ever?

Last edited:

SUP3RST4R_DJ

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 MY11 Holden VE SSV Ute
Mine are behind the air vents that are exposed when the doors open, just use strong double sided tape to hold them in place

I find it's the best spot because you only have to run 1 set of wires into the door (which is a pain in the a$$) and they are close connections to the tweeters, wires from amp and to mids in the doors

morphix

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 VZ SV6 5-Speed Auto
How hard is it to run another set of wires from the tweeter area down to where you placed your crossovers? Due to the limited amount of room.

I'm just going to wire new speaker wires from my Sony head unit plugs (i have Sony-to-ISO harness, will just snip at the harness) to the crossovers and new from crossovers to mid-bass in door and crossover to tweeter, leaving factory wiring in place, just taped up and to the side.

I'd prefer to leave factory wiring in place instead of taking it out. I hated it when i bought my other car and someone had pulled all the factory wiring out and removed their aftermarket head unit and put the original back in, i had to rewire the whole lot to actually work.

SUP3RST4R_DJ

Reaction score
Members Ride
I've left factory wiring in my car and ran all new heavier gauge cable when I did it

As for running from the new tweeters to the crossover yeah that's easy , the tweeters are just above my crossovers

Plus with my speakers the tweeters already had the cable running to them, does your new tweeters have a cable coming out of it or just spade terminals or something?

Munz

Right Foot Action
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Calais LS1 / VL RB30e daily
Mine are behind the air vents that are exposed when the doors open, just use strong double sided tape to hold them in place

I find it's the best spot because you only have to run 1 set of wires into the door (which is a pain in the a$$) and they are close connections to the tweeters, wires from amp and to mids in the doors

Trying to figure out where to mount my x-overs - superstar are yours behind the vents in the door or dash?

Munz

Right Foot Action
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Calais LS1 / VL RB30e daily
never mind just saw your last post :banstick: teach me for not reading properly

SUP3RST4R_DJ

Reaction score
Members Ride
Haha no worries mate, what speakers are you installing? Let us know how they go too