Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VY Interior Light/Sunglasses Holder into VT

Toeludeu

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore VT S Pack
Hey all,

Has anyone tried to do this yet?
I found a cheap VY interior light, with sunglass holder and map lights on Ebay so i thought I would buy it.

On the VY, it goes between the sunvisors, and obviously i'd like to put it in the same place on the VT. I've seen threads on other forums where this is apparently an easy mod to the interior, but can't seem to find anyone that details how they did it.

Had a search around here, but can't find anything either.

Thanks

kep64

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr executive
Have done this to my VT.... relatively easy fitment.
Firstly, I suggest that you check out exactly where the item goes on a VY (take a photo with your mobile or make a mental note).
Do yourself a paper template of the light and place it on your headlining.
Start with a slightly smaller hole (than the template) cutting with a stanley knife.
You should also notice that there are already screw holes for the item in the VT roof.
Slowly trim the edges to fit... it's easy to trim but be careful not to cut the lining too wide.
Wiring can be connected by any competent auto elec by piggy backing off the original centre light.
I used a wire coat hanger to help pull the wires from the new to old lights.

Archers

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve Calais V 6ltr
lol i done it to my old vx really easy i just cut the roof linning way to much lol, and they arnt cheap to replace 90 bucks second hand m8 so as stated above take ur time

Dayvo

Because i can
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Series 2
I'm sure that there was a "How to" in here about it a while back

Toeludeu

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore VT S Pack
Thanks guys,

Got it all installed ok in terms of mounting, but wiring is hard to work out.
After I had installed it, all lights would come on when you unlock with key or open door. If you turned the left hand map light on on the new vz unit, the left hand map light only would come on (this is good) however when I turned the right hand one on - all lights (both map and the original VT light in centre of roof) would come on.

I thought, I can live with this - but then it changed itself. Now when I open the door or unlock with the key, all lights EXCEPT the right hand map light on the new unit come on, however the map lights now work independently of each other - meaning i can turn either on.

Might pull it back out tomorrow and have another look, but i'm buggered if I can work it out.

holdenvtman1123

Improvise Adapt Overcome
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com.au
Members Ride
VZ Adventra LX6 2006 3.6L
what wires are coming from the new light?

Toeludeu

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore VT S Pack
what wires are coming from the new light?

I pulled it out and found a broken resistor thingy.
I went and bought some more, replaced both and wired it all back up.

Both lights now come on when you open the door, both lights can be controlled independantly of the other, the drivers side map light works fine, however when turning on the passenger side map light (new unit), it turns ALL lights on.

I'm stumped.

Wires coming out of it where,
Brown wires from map light switches to lamps.
Red wires from lamps (This then gives power to the brown wires)
Green Wires from lamps
Blue wire from main switch
White wire from main switch
Red wire from main switch.