Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VY intermittent starting problems

kane b t

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy 2003 wagon equipe
vy starting then turning off

the car will start then turn itself off after about 3 seconds checked the battery and it showed black dot so went and got new one same thing would happen read your posts about cleaning the key so I cleaned it with metho and a toothbrush now the car starts no problem thanks heaps for the posts

Kiwichick

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS commodore 03
I would just like to say I was having intermittent starting issues with my VY, came here read comments, no more starting worries thanks for the practical advice.

Skyjack

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY
Im having an intermittent starting problem,

one day suddenly when i went to start the car it wouldnt turn over tried a couple times, nothing, took the key out tried again and she fired up no problem. (this was about a week ago)

no problems since until today went to start the car but it was not turning over so i keep cranking i get CHECK ALTERNATOR warning

Like ive said this is an intermittent problem that comes and goes as it pleases

I have check the voltage of the battery via the VY computer ad it has said 13.3 idling, 13.8 if i rev and 12v without the motor running

What do you guys think is the issue?
worn brushes?
Starter solenoid crapping out?

Im hopefully going to be able to drive it to my auto elec to have a look see tommorrow, I cranked it over a few times while checking the voltage via computer and it kicked in without a problem so im hoping that means the alternator is fine and its either the regulator or the starter solenoid

any input appreciated
Is the 4 amp or small wire attached firmly to the starter motor. I had this issue until it stopped starting at 10 pm in the work place. The next day I jacked it up and found the problem

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
It sounds like the immobiliser is being activated on all of the above vehicles,
with aging internal batteries, and/or damaged Key Head internally, the above faults will occur.

I had a friend with the exact same thing recently, rung me up and told me he couldn't start his car, with a bit of messing around, he got it started,
then brought it around, luckily I had a spare 3 Button Key Head in stock, programed in it,
has not faulted since that day.