Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vy irs LSD diff in a vs

rossdogg

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais S1 95
Will a vy IRS LSD diff fit in a IRS vs commodore, I'm not sure as it looks like where the tail shaft bolts on is different, anyone have any idea?

grnvs

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs v8 5spd 9c1
Yeah i think you might be right about it not fitting the tail shaft. The lsd centre might fit your vs diff though, worth asking a diff shop. They'll be able to tell you straight away

rossdogg

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais S1 95
Yeah i think you might be right about it not fitting the tail shaft. The lsd centre might fit your vs diff though, worth asking a diff shop. They'll be able to tell you straight away

Yeah I wasn't sure as it looks like it only bolts on with 3 bolts and vs tailshafts have 4, I was also thinking maybe you could take the part that bolts on out of each and switch it over maybe?

grnvs

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs v8 5spd 9c1
Yeah its the diff centre that makes it an lsd, so if the vs and vy use the same centre it will do the trick, but i dont know the answer to that question sorry.

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
VL/N/P/R/S and early VT use the borg warner m78
At some point in the VT's they moved onto the bigger bw m80.

rossdogg

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais S1 95
VL/N/P/R/S and early VT use the borg warner m78
At some point in the VT's they moved onto the bigger bw m80.

So I take that as a no? Lol , is that for the gears or the whole diff?

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
Gears and centres are not interchangeable with housings, so you can't put BW78 gear in a BW80 housing and vice versa.

I've got a friend who's put the entire BW80 housing into a VS. Don't remember what it entailed, but it seemed to bolt straight in. The yokes are probably different though. immortality says it's possible too - http://forums.justcommodores.com.au...34-diff-all-you-need-know-11.html#post2492386

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
It will fit but as mentioned (the entire BW80 diff assembly) you will need to remove the standard VY drive shaft flange (dounut type) and fit the 4 bolt flange to suit the VS drive shaft.

The only reason I would do the conversion however would be if you want to fit a truetrac type centre as the Eaton truetrac centre can be had a lot cheaper from the US for the BW80 than you can get a Harrop truetrac for the BW78. IF your intending to stay with the standard factory type cone LSD centre than you may as well just get yours reco'd rather then going to the expense of changing over the entire diff assembly.