Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VY Key

knight97

Reaction score
Members Ride
was vn s pack now VY S2
Hi

My other key for my VY has got broken "buttons" That is the rubber over them
My Q is can this be replaced or is a new key the only answer
BTW this is not a spare key

Ta in Advance

DUK13Y

When in doubt, slide it out
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VEII SSV, VYII Berlina, '97 Lancer
if its only the rubber thats broken then my only idea is to get your spare key, pull both keys apart (2 screws on the back) and just swap the face plate.

that way your spare key will have the damaged rubber buttons and your normal key will look fine.

hope this helps a bit. sorry i couldn't be more helpful.

Silver surfer

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
04 VY Executive
the 2 screws on the back of the ket only allow you to pull out the metal section that unlocks the door manually, to replace the rubber buttons you will be up for a new key,

vy_storm

just another moderator...
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.users.on.net
Members Ride
VE Calais V 6L
They are a sealed unit and not meant to be opened, you can attempt it, but they pretty much never seal the same way again. But yes they are a 1 piece item and not intended to have parts replaced.

HoldenMan7

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS 6 SPEED MANUAL
if i was you mate i would just get a new key made up and be done with it though its up to u...

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
If anyone who is in South East Suburbs of Melbourne [Bayside Area], I will program in your new Key Head for VT > VZ for a fee, being you need to use your original Key Blade.
Don't be a cheapskate and buy cheap non-genuine Key Heads, or the cheap and nasty Replacement Shells, or replacement buttons as the may work at the start, but will eventual fail, the replacement silicon buttons also don't last, as they fall out, and/or wear through. I tried the replacement shells, and silicon buttons myself after a friend told me about them, and ended up throwing them out.
I ended up buying 4 x Genuine 3 Button Keys Heads from a Locksmith in Camberwell, 2 for myself, and 2 for a friend, we transferred the existing Key Blades over to the new Key Heads, programmed 2 into each car, and neither have faulted once, and that was 18 months ago, the rest is history.
If you like your Holden as much I do, and only like using Genuine Parts, At least buy a decent Key Remote that will out-last the knockoffs, the cheap and nasty remotes will fail when you least expect it, and that's when you will look back and think, why did I buy that tight a*** remote.
The cost will be $40, I will make a donation of each programming job to Just Commodores, if that doesn't encourage you to buy Genuine, what will, if you not serious about genuine parts, you are probably not serious about your Holden.

Last edited: