Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VY Keys question

SS-REX

Reaction score
Members Ride
03-VY-SS-UTE
Hey guys i need to get another key for my 03 VY SS as the one i have is looking sad. As well as i need a spare too i got quoted $199 for two keys one brand new head with new key the other would be a brand new head but using my old key.Is that a good price or does any one know a better place to get new keys on the Gold coast. Thanks

uniacidz

Harden the Frak Up
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Mr Minit does Holden Keys

Breakdown of when i was quoted
$30 metal key blade
$90 Remote head.

Depends on where you are, some other locksmiths may be able to do cheaper.

arthy23

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 Monaro CV8 V2 SII
got my keys done at mr minit too.. only cost me $150 all up for 2 keys, brand new 3 button remote and new keys too.. they had a special on about 6 months ago lol.. but $90 per remote is pretty standard.

Tapatalk! arthy23

Mohi

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy commodore executive S2
i had a single key cut for $90 which included a new key and a remote. so $200 seems ok

SS-REX

Reaction score
Members Ride
03-VY-SS-UTE
Thanks guys for the fast reply so its a standard price $90-100 sweet il go with that..

Mad84VK

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S Ute
First night i got my vy s pac i washed the engine bay and it shorted the key reader and blew both the key reader and the key. cost me under $150 to get fixed by my mechanic.

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
You can pick up brand new genuine 2 or 3 button remotes on ebay (see link below) for around $50 delivered. You just need to get the new key cut and the fob programmed. Most locksmiths can do both. Phone around to get the best price for programming and cutting.. The key in the link below will also fit VR through to VZ models, some models use the 3 button remote, some use the 2 button one.. You can replace an original 2 button remote with a 3 button one, it will work the same, but the 3rd button (remote boot open button ) wont work.

Holden Commodore VS 1995-1997 Genuine Car Key Complete w/ 3 Button Remote & Chip | eBay

SS-REX

Reaction score
Members Ride
03-VY-SS-UTE
Thanks for that info Brett_jjj but i went to a Mr minit locksmith today had a new key cut and coded.But it nearly ended up me calling a mobile auto locksmith cause the new key stuffed my ignition barrel.$240 for the call out and a new barrel But i managed to free it back up with my old key after that i got a refund.I got the hell out of there I think il just ring up Holden tomorrow and see how much there doing keys for?.

Torquative

Sports Economy
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 3.6L SIDI 6sp
I just got the genuine key head that Brett mentioned from ebay and had that programmed to the car.

Used the original key blade and the new head & screws, which was $50 delivered (same day but I am in NSW)