Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VY L67 Auto To Manual Conversion (And More)

alien

Reaction score
Members Ride
03 VY Supercharged 3.8L
OK, here's a few questions and when i actually get the conversion done, details will be placed here.

Anyways, first question is what gearbox do you think would be best for an L67 with future mods to come too?
T5 - The getrag 5 Speed (same as the manual VY S packs [6 cylinder n/a])
OR
T56 - The Borg-warner 6 Speed gearbox (same as the manual VY SS's) [and still used to date in the commodores]

Now remember that the T56 is a fair bit more expensive than the T5. T5's are selling for $500 and less these days.

Second question, your answer to the first question, compare that with getting a non standard manual. Would that be better? [i'll need help with prices here and comparing]

Third, what sort of display does the VY clusters show with a manual transmission? Are they designed to show the gears along the bottom of the screen like the autos?

Fourth, this work will definatly not be done by myself, because the vehicle is supercharged things like flywheel will need to be balanced differently. What exactly has to be done to get it to a manual? (And before anyone says it, if your going to say the T56 needs the hydraulic clutch, i already know)

Fifth, anyone out there converted their L67 to a manual? (Even better if it was a VY)

Thanks,
alien

taztassio

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S L67
t5's tend to **** 3rd or 2nd gear i think, few people on l67torque.com have done it

t56 is much better, but you need either an adapter, or a new belhousing, plus custom flywheel, etc etc.

talk to mal wood about that.

people have done both on l67torque.com best head there

taztassio

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S L67
also, if you wanted to be different, an r154 manual (soarer and early supra 5spd) is tough as gutz, and would work, but again, bellhousing....

sp001in

vyma100
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY ute
the clusters can be calibrated to accept a manual box. and yes they will show you what gear you are in.

as for the box what sort of power are you planning? a getrag will stand up to around 250kw and won't give too much trouble. with a twin plate clutch you'll be ok. It's a lot simpler really.

I know of plenty of people pushing up 310kw (capa supercharged v6 (flywheel figure)) on the standard getrag box with no problem, be it the clutch and the diff go before the box does.

Just don't mash your gears.

chargedvx6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SII HBD Calais L67
also, if you wanted to be different, an r154 manual (soarer and early supra 5spd) is tough as gutz, and would work, but again, bellhousing....

Dellow does an adapter for the R154 to Ecotec from memory

taztassio

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S L67
the clusters can be calibrated to accept a manual box. and yes they will show you what gear you are in.

as for the box what sort of power are you planning? a getrag will stand up to around 250kw and won't give too much trouble. with a twin plate clutch you'll be ok. It's a lot simpler really.

I know of plenty of people pushing up 310kw (capa supercharged v6 (flywheel figure)) on the standard getrag box with no problem, be it the clutch and the diff go before the box does.

l67 is different to a centrifugal.

the torque on an m90 is unrivaled.

alien

Reaction score
Members Ride
03 VY Supercharged 3.8L
sp001in,

Do you know how to calibrate the clusters to get them to accept the manual transmissions?

This vehicle in future (after more mods) will probably push out more than 340hp, which you state is around the power figure for the T5. In which case i might have to look at the T56 or something else. It might be better to have a stronger gear box to save me constantly working on it. Depending on cost of course.

And yes, i will goto L67 Torque and see what they say over there.

taztassio, you are right the m90 is very torquey. Hits it's peak torque value at only 3000-3600 RPM (800RPM less than when the LS2's reach their peak torque).

kart_racer

Races karts
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Acclaim 5M
Just to clear this up. A T5 is a Borg Warner gearbox, the Getrag is NOT a T5.

The Getrag was used from VSII-VY. A T5 used in a previous model will be much more difficult to fit. Getrags are usually a fair bit more expensive.

alien

Reaction score
Members Ride
03 VY Supercharged 3.8L
Thanks for fixing up that error kart_racer.

The getrag is the Type 260. Which is actually what i meant i my first post [maybe i should stop posting that early in the morning]. The T56 is also wrong, it isn't the Borg Warner model that is used, it's the Tremec T56.

Transmission ratios for the T260 are:
1st 3.829:1
2nd 2.199:1
3rd 1.401:1
4th 1.000:1
5th 0.809:1
Reverse 3.456:1

Transmission ratios for the T56 are:
1st 2.66:1
2nd 1.78:1
3rd 1.30:1
4th 1.00:1
5th 0.74:1
6th 0.50:1
Reverse 2.90:1

Transmission ratios for the 8HND (Auto box in L67 vehicles)
1st 3.059:1
2nd 1.625:1
3rd 1.000:1
4th 0.696:1
Reverse 2.294:1

Last edited:

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY s m5 supercharged

A cluster that has been set to manual trans will not show you what gear you are in