Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VY L67 conversion, need help and guidence

phillyG

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY s2 Spac 3.8 n/a
Hi all,
As the title self explains, i am keen for an L67 conversion in my Vy spac.
I've come across a engine with rebuilt top end and 10psi pulley, auto, ecu and loom out of a Vx Calais for $1200 so i figure that is a sort of reasonable price and incentive to buy and go ahead with the conversion.
i have a couple of questions, which are asked on many other threads but never fully answered due to people with way too many opinions trying to answer them
i have done a lot to this car, sound system, better brakes, genuine vy gts wheels, vz calais leather, vz hbd nos steering wheel ect ect list goes on so im not selling it to buy one with a l67 in it already.
anyway back to it!
ive done some extensive research into this already so this is just to clear things up.

Q1.
is it really as simple as take the old out, put the new in, change the fuel pump and mate the bmc to the new ecu?
is there any other little bits and pieces i may run into problems with?

Q2.
will it be fine, being that the engine is out of a vx and mine is a vy?
also will there be any problem with my traction control? or is this all controlled by the abs module?

Q3.
Are there any common problems with l67s i need to look out for?

Q4.
also, im going to look at everything tomorrow before my heart is set on buying this one.
what should i be looking for when looking at the engine and auto? its already out of the car but was running a week ago before the guy swapped to a ls1 (there is a lot you can find out by looking at someones facebook page, so theres no foul play going on haha)
i know leaks and signs of ware, and if the engine is sitting on its sump on a concrete floor it probably will be a good idea to question that haha but anything else?

thanks heaps!
PhillyG
this is my car btw, cleanest S pac ive seen hence why i dont want to sell it
im still on my P's for another year so i shouldnt be driving it but ill have a vx daily anyway so this will be used when im feeling risky so to speak, otherwise ill keep the engine to the side till im off my p's and this info will be used then so i can have a l67 daily and an ls weekender haha.
16gbjuo.jpg

Big-Al

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS 5.7 M6
Wait until you get off those P plates, then we'll talk conversion. Until then, keep practicing your driving because practice makes perfect.

phillyG

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY s2 Spac 3.8 n/a
otherwise ill keep the engine to the side till im off my p's and this info will be used then so i can have a l67 daily and an ls weekender haha

I understand I am relatively new to driving compared to many people, but seeing as I just witnessed a fully licenced driver in a ve ss ute go sideways into a fence and pole, I dont think im the worst out there

That being said answers to these questions could prove useful to myself and others

Thanks

Big-Al

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS 5.7 M6
I'm not sure that what you just said makes sense, to sum up:
You're new to driving,
You witnessed a more experienced driver lose control of a more powerful car,
You now want to make your own car more powerful.

How about you teach yourself restraint and learn to wait for things? Young people, want everything NOW.

phillyG

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY s2 Spac 3.8 n/a
No, I was using that as an example that driving skill is not always defined by age.
I said relative to others, relative being the main word there.
Yes I would like to make it more powerful, if I didnt I would go back to owning a 4 cylinder golf again. But that does not mean I dont respect the roads and the safety of myself and others.
I am not asking whether I should go ahead with the conversion, I am asking those 4 questions above so that I can exapand my knowledge.
I was not looking for an argument, I was seeking answers to questions.

Thank you for your wise input, and all your generalizations.

chargedvx6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SII HBD Calais L67
Yes you're right in only needing L67 fuel pump (from VY as they have different return line size and larger housing) and mating BCM to New 396 service number PCM. I can write you a memcal to get the BCM/ PCM (ECU as people call it) working together. There's also a couple small issues with loom compatibility that I can help you get around too. Shoot me a message if you need help

Filb

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY sedan+ wifes VYII wagon.
Hey just want to chime in here chargedvx6 i just dione a auto-to-man conversion to my VY and got all working after weeks of internet reading but 1 thing i couldn't get to work properly was the power windows when the car is switched off i dont have the ability to wind them up ,you know the 1-2 min delay could you help me with that is that a BCM problem
Also have the oppertunity to buy a supercharger from a vx with the loom and ecu can i just bolt the charger onto my engine or do i need the do some interal work to my engine
Cheers

Quicksix

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 series 2 vy
Sorry to butt in butt I wanna do the same wanna do a convertion on my 04 vy auto am I correct all I need is motor loom ecu and fuel pump will have a 2500 stall in na box to suit and say I got a loom and ecu from a vy and got a motor from a vx would loom be all good to use on that motor ?

Bowen

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VX S manual 3.8L SP
As per conversion yeah you pretty much summed it up lengthen a few wires around the TB, new fuel pump, I would suggest a tuned memcal (seeing as your running 10 pound) the one can help you there, doesn't matter if the engine was from a vs, its almost identical and even though its older (therefore conflicting with the engine older than chasis rule) its fine because It uses all the same Captain Planet loving features.

Just so you know you drive this thing and have an accident even if your not at fault and someone dies your going to jail and will be touched by many large men.

Blueglow

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH Statesman
Didnt want to make my own thread sorry, but I took my l67 snout off since it was rattling and thought it needed a coupling change. The oil has leaked out and the gear on the passenger side has teeth broken off! Can you just replace that gear?