Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VY L67 LIM Gasket Replacements

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
I finally struck up the courage and time to do my LIM Gaskets, yesterday [Sunday]
Started at 11am and finished at 5pm. [took my time to do it once and do it right]
What a Job for a Super6 !,

Firstly, organised a heap of ice-cream containers for each section of the project,

• Disconnect the Battery
  • Remove the turtle shell 4 x 10mm captive nuts
  • Unplug the Remove the Alternator
  • Remove the Both Belts [take photos so its not a headache to re-fit them]
  • Disconnect the bottom Radiator Hose
  • Remove the Super Charger idler puller [you will see why later]
  • Disconnect Both Heater Hoses [the ones to the Heater Tap]
  • Disconnect the Alternator Earth [cant miss it, BIG green Nut, that's if its still original]
  • Remove the Front Heater pipe fitting in front to Tensioner Unit 1 x nut & 1 x bolt [Had to use Tyre Leavers, Yes that is right, to remove from the body]
  • Remove the Accessory Idler bolts and remove the Tension Pulley Mount [again used tyre leavers to pry it off]
  • Disconnect the spark plug leads 2, 4, 6 on the Coils/DFI [write on the lead heads so there is no mistake re-fitting them]
  • Remove the DFI bracket and lay it to the side [3 Bolts, 1 x long one, and 2 x short ones]
  • Remove the Air intake pipe
  • Disconnect & Remove the Throttle Body
  • Disconnect the Temp Sender, located way under the Blower Elbow.
  • Disconnect vacuum hoses, remembering where they live, 1 on the Bypass Actuator, 1 on the Vac Tree, 2 on the Throttle Body, 1 small one on the back of the Blower, 1 large one for the Brake booster.
  • Disconnect the fuel lines and make sure you have a rag to soak up the fuel once disconnected
  • Remove the Fuel rail and injectors 4 x 10mm nuts and 1 x 10mm bolt at the top of the blower
  • Remove the blower bolts 10mm
  • Disconnect and remove the thermostat housing elbow hose.
  • Remove the bolts for the Manifold, INCLUDING the Hidden at the back of the LIM 10mm [sits under the Boost Actuator], unable to see from the front of the car]
  • Remove the Loom bracket at the back of the manifold [10mm bolt]
  • Remove the LIM,
I laid a cloth over the valley of the engine and made sure no crap could fall in,
I scraped all of the old gaskets off the intake ports and cooling pots with a sharp Chisel
I wiped both sides down with degreaser,
Then wiped the both sides down with a wet cloth to remove the degreaser,
then got hold of a sanding block and medium sand paper and cleaned the surfaces on both sides.
Got the compressed air onto the area's and blew any dirt away.
Wiped the head surfaces down again.
For the LIM, I scraped off the old gaskets with the chisel, and lightly sanded the intake surfaces.
Blower was fine as it was removed not long ago to replace the Bearings,
placed the new valley gaskets, and intake gaskets in place to see how they all go together,
Remove them and made sure the surfaces were dry,
Then applied Permatex sealant on the Valley surfaces, front and back,
and a dob of sealant on all 4 corners on the Valley Surfaces,
Installed the Valley Gaskets
Then installed the LIM Gaskets,
and again, a dob of sealant on each corner of the Valley seals,
And ran a thin film on the top of the Valley Seals [To be Sure, To Be Sure].
Place the LIM back on, and torqued the bolts up accordingly [and in the correct sequence]
Install the Bolt for the Loom Bracket, cos sure as hell, you won't be able to do it after !
Makes sure you install the 2 O-ring seals [at the back] on the LIM, between the LIM and Supercharger.
Re-fitted the Supercharger and Gasket, and also torqued the bolts accordingly [and in sequence]
Replace the O-Ring on the Tensioner Fitting, [I also applied Gasket Cement on and around the Seal]
Re-installed the Tensioner Bracket
Replace the O-Ring on the Heater Pipe Fitting[ I also applied Gasket Cement on and around the O-Ring]
Re-installed the Heater Pipe.
Refitted the DFI Bracket and plug leads
Re-fitting everything else pretty much straight forward, reverse of removal,

What I did notice when disassembling everything,
the LIM Bolts were lose, and had like milkshake liquid on them,
I am guessing that is where it was leaking to/from, as I had the same in the radiator.

So when I re-fitted the LIM bolts, I used "stud sealer" liberally on ALL the bolt threads.
Next job will be to flush the cooling system to try and remove the remaining crap in the block of the cooling passages.

It went all back together fairly easy, and what made it easier, was the ice-cream containers, so you not looking for bolts/parts, and the oily items once removed can soak in Degreaser while removing other parts.

The Temperature is running at approx. 1/4 on the temp gauge when driving, roughly the same as before,
But moves up approx. another 1/8 while idling, which seems ok still.
I went for a quick drive tonight, and it appears to be idling much smoother.
Time will tell how it will go a freeway run.
Otherwise, pleased with the result.
Hope this will help others in the future.
Time taken, inc setup and clean up, Midday to 6pm, and that was taking my time in doing it, and making sure everything was clean, and dry to reassemble.
Any questions, your welcome, by thread or by PM.

Last edited:

turbovich

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy
So........after lim gasket replacement, noticeable benefits were idle smoother. And I'd imagine gunk free radiator. Any other positives.?

krusing

Reaction score
Members Ride
So........after lim gasket replacement, noticeable benefits were idle smoother. And I'd imagine gunk free radiator. Any other positives.?

Its all Positives, because no more internal engine leaks.

If you are attempting to do it,
Make sure you have all the gear on hand, Most importantly -
Thread Sealer
Gasket Cement,
Permatex Sealant [Where I used Black]
& a Tension Wrench, and none of this 2 cracks of the elbow,
Plenty of Ice Cream Containers,
because you only want to do it once.
Do it once, Do it Properly

Last edited:

krusing

Reaction score
Members Ride
Better economy,
More positive accelerator response,
Running cooler.
It has to be all positives, because of no more Water, Oil and Vacuum leaks.

You may have to flush the radiator out a few times to get the majority of the sludge/oil/crap out of it.
I tried a Radiator Flush item, and it didn't seen to clean it up as well as I excepted,
So I have done a couple more radiator flushes, and its a bit better now,
But will do a couple more flush's next week after a couple run's,
Being that its a bit difficult to get out, well shouldn't be going out, being the sign of the times with the COVID-19 crisis.
But pleased with the result.

Last edited: