Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VY L67 wiring loom in a VS.

ben315vz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
'05 Holden VZ Calais V8
Hey guys,

Some of you might know that I have bought a L67 out of a VY Calais to put in my VS Berlina.

With the wiring loom, does it run into the cab or just around the engine bay? Does anyone know how easy/hard it is to change?

I have never done an engine conversion before. I'm not worried about changing over the engine and transmission, it mainly the wiring loom i'm not sure about. The motor I bought comes with ecu, everything that bolts on, wiring loom, transmission etc.

Any help with installing the wiring loom would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

ben315vz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
'05 Holden VZ Calais V8
Ok so if no-one can give me any information on those questions, does anyone know if the plugs on the VS are the same as a VY.

Seems like a few people have converted there VS V6 to a Supercharged V6 and yet no-one can give me any info on the wiring loom?

VK SL 3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL 5spd
Your looms are very different, some people modify there VS ecotec looms to suit and have the computer retuned, others source a genuine VS supercharged loom and computer, as far as i know its plug and play if you use a VS super 6 loom, VY loom will not plug straight in, also VT and later super 6's have a boost control solenoid that im pretty sure earlier VS series engine didnt have so theres extra wiring there plus computer inputs ect, you could buy a V6 conversions kit to suit but its probably not worth the effort.

ben315vz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
'05 Holden VZ Calais V8
I have already bought the Supercharged V6 and it came with the wiring loom and everything else. So even if I bought a VS L67 wiring loom it would still be no good because of the boost control solenoid? Also, if I use the VY ECU that came with the engine will it still be no good?

VK SL 3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL 5spd
VY ECU is no good standard as the BCM is different in a vs and they wont connect to each other (like trying to make an XBOX connect to a PS3), VY instruments are all run from the BCM which in term get most of its information the from the ECU. VS instruments are all still independent from computers except the Speedo AFAIK (eg, wire runs directly from temp sender to gauge as opposed to - sensor to ecu, to bcm, to gauge).

A Vs super 6 loom will work fine, the Boost control solenoid doesnt need to be plugged in, all it does is bypass the boost off the throttle and at cruise, you could hook up a manual one all it is a solenoid that allows vacuum through or not. I would source a VS loom and computer to suit. The Engine is fine to use with either loom.

ben315vz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
'05 Holden VZ Calais V8
Thank you so much for telling me that, I was starting to panic because I already bought the engine and was starting to think that it would be no good to me. Ok so ill see if I can find a VS super 6 wiring loom and ecu (will probably be hard because they are getting rare I think.

The more I think about it, the more I was thinking about whether the wiring loom would be any good or not. If I can't find a wiring loom or ecu, do you know anyone that could modify my wiring loom and re-program my ecu?

wamboin23

Donating Member w/ Boost
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais - Cooled L67 + T56 | VF SSV Ute
best off with VS L67 computer, or stock computer with L67 tune.

Wiring harness wise, all L67's are identical wiring wise, with the exception of VS, which have a second temp sensor for the gauge mounted in the rear of the LIM.
Easiest way to go is VS L67 harness, as it will be plug and play. VT and later can be made to work with mods, requires new plugs etc.
Standard VS V6 is your best bet if you get stuck. Need to extend wiring for drivers side of harness.
My harness is a hybrid VT L67/VS V6, with extra manual wiring. So whatever way you go, unless you get a VS L67 harness, you'll need to mod.

Don't worry about the boost bypass solenoid, it causes issues anyway, most people get rid of it.
It's job is to cut boost in reverse, when the engine overheats etc. The bypass actuator will still function so it doesn't boost at idle..

ben315vz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
'05 Holden VZ Calais V8
best off with VS L67 computer, or stock computer with L67 tune.

Wiring harness wise, all L67's are identical wiring wise, with the exception of VS, which have a second temp sensor for the gauge mounted in the rear of the LIM.
Easiest way to go is VS L67 harness, as it will be plug and play. VT and later can be made to work with mods, requires new plugs etc.
Standard VS V6 is your best bet if you get stuck. Need to extend wiring for drivers side of harness.
My harness is a hybrid VT L67/VS V6, with extra manual wiring. So whatever way you go, unless you get a VS L67 harness, you'll need to mod.

Don't worry about the boost bypass solenoid, it causes issues anyway, most people get rid of it.
It's job is to cut boost in reverse, when the engine overheats etc. The bypass actuator will still function so it doesn't boost at idle..

Did you modify your loom yourself or did you have to take it somewhere to get it done?

With the second temperature sensor, does the VS L67 loom have the plug for it or not? If not, can I just leave it unplugged?

I have about 2 years to get it done because I wont be fitting the engine until I get off my P-Plates, but I want to get everything sorted out now so theres less stress for when i'm ready to fit it.

Sorry about all the questions. I'm not too good when it comes to wiring, I couldn't even wire up my stereo system, I had to get it fitted at the place I bought it. But with the engine its different because once I take the old engine out, the car wont be drivable until the new engine runs.

wamboin23

Donating Member w/ Boost
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais - Cooled L67 + T56 | VF SSV Ute
well i'm an auto elec, so no probs there.

in regards to the second temp sensor, your going to need to get the LIM (intake manifold under the blower) drilled and tapped with a thread so that you can put the extra sensor in. The VS still uses a temp sensor specifically for the gauge, while VT onwards use the ECU temp sender signal.
I would imagine that the VS L67 harness would have the connector for it.

ben315vz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
'05 Holden VZ Calais V8
well i'm an auto elec, so no probs there.

in regards to the second temp sensor, your going to need to get the LIM (intake manifold under the blower) drilled and tapped with a thread so that you can put the extra sensor in. The VS still uses a temp sensor specifically for the gauge, while VT onwards use the ECU temp sender signal.
I would imagine that the VS L67 harness would have the connector for it.

Wouldn't the VY L67 already have that sensor fitted?

I know an auto elec that we use at work but I don't think that they would do jobs like that (they might) but I can't see them doing that.