Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VY L67

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Good engine building starts with good workmanship and knowing the parts you are putting together... "she'll be right mate" isn't how you put an engine together and considering he's using sponsored parts from a number off different suppliers you'd think he'd take a little more care.

It's a show made to entertain and not much more. Hell, the boys at Nugget Garage are a better example as they acknowledge what they do and actually know how to build a decent bit of kit without taking themselves too seriously.

vr304

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 ssv manual
Good engine building starts with good workmanship and knowing the parts you are putting together... "she'll be right mate" isn't how you put an engine together and considering he's using sponsored parts from a number off different suppliers you'd think he'd take a little more care.

It's a show made to entertain and not much more. Hell, the boys at Nugget Garage are a better example as they acknowledge what they do and actually know how to build a decent bit of kit without taking themselves too seriously.
To me it seems like Scotty is just doing a slap together and send it type of build knowing full well it’s not built to last, then do a proper build later

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Which is why my original suggestion is to not take what Scotty does (in that series of videos) as a good example on how to build an L67 engine. If you want to slap together a stock engine fine, but when you start adding high lift cam shaft etc a little more attention to detail is required.

vr304

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 ssv manual
Which is why my original suggestion is to not take what Scotty does (in that series of videos) as a good example on how to build an L67 engine. If you want to slap together a stock engine fine, but when you start adding high lift cam shaft etc a little more attention to detail is required.
Have you checked out my vintage iron on YouTube? He does some really good work and explains everything well too

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
Have you checked out my vintage iron on YouTube? He does some really good work and explains everything well too

Yea I've been watching him for three years. He has the best cam explanation video on youtube imo.
There's a few other guys that do good engine videos off the top of my head Horse power monster with Kieth Dorten, here is one of his master pieces.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I am in the process of building my V6 engine. I have spent so far at least $1600 on labor, about $1600 on parts. That was just a chain, and both sets of crank bearings so far, rockers and gaskets. Heads will be $800 or more for machining alone. VRS was $220 at a discounted price, lifters another $220, and $55 on bolts. Heads fitment will be another $400, unless I fit them myself. This build has not included rings or pistons as mine are good still. Soon adds up, hahahaha

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Just to let you know you will need to allow $1200 or more for the head overhaul, (parts & machining), plus VRS. Anything reco is costly. Probably need to allow $3k for engine machinist, plus what ever parts you want to throw at it, pistons, rings, bearings, etc. Probably no change from $5k, lot more if you are paying for assembly.