Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VY Leaking Cold Coolant

2002VY

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY Exec
Hey guys.
Having a problem with my VY exec for the last week on and off. I noticed when I turned it off last week that some coolant leaked. I popped the bonnet and there was some coolant on the battery and battery tray. I started it up and checked all hoses and everything and couldnt find a leak anywhere. Didnt drive it for a few days. Took it for a 20 min drive and it didnt leak and the radiator was full. Its strange but cos the coolant is completely cold.

Its been fine since saturday and ive been checking the radiator and its still full. But i got home this arvo and it leaked again. Still cold but. I seriously have no idea where the leak is coming from. I would think if it was radiator the coolant would be hot?? Any ideas??

rydogz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY II SS
Its strange but cos the coolant is completely cold.

Do you mean the coolant in is cold in the reservoir tank when you opened it with no pressure or simply the "leaked" coolant on the battery?

Cool engine means f u c k e d thermostat.

Heat her up and she'll leak, get it to operating temp and open the bonnet and wait for the thermo fans to kick in.

Burnout124

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Executive S2/ VY SS 6sp
coolant on your battery i had that it was a split side tank on my radiator. saw the coolant but did not start to badly leek for another week!

2002VY

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY Exec
Do you mean the coolant in is cold in the reservoir tank when you opened it with no pressure or simply the "leaked" coolant on the battery?

Cool engine means f u c k e d thermostat.

Heat her up and she'll leak, get it to operating temp and open the bonnet and wait for the thermo fans to kick in.

The coolant on the battery and the puddle that leaked onto the ground is cold. Ive ran it for 20 mins and cant see any leak at all

colgf

Reaction score
Members Ride
s/charged v6 HR Holden, s/charged v6 EH Holden,
I had the same , it was a split side tank section on the radiator (plastic side tank) adjacent to battery. Not repairable buy a new one , get a heavy duty , thicker 18mm I think, core. about $170 from Repco , what happens is when you switch off motor afer a trip & the coolant is hot & it expands in the radiator & the built up hot coolant expansion & pressure increases & pops the side tank seal or the plastic splits in the radiator , then it leaks until the pressure drops then the leak stops , generally will only leak after a really hot day or a hot trip.
You can also buy a full alloy raiator for about $500 (no Plastic) but you have to be keeping the car for a few years to pay for the extra expense.

2002VY

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY Exec
I had the same , it was a split side tank section on the radiator (plastic side tank) adjacent to battery. Not repairable buy a new one , get a heavy duty , thicker 18mm I think, core. about $170 from Repco , what happens is when you switch off motor afer a trip & the coolant is hot & it expands in the radiator & the built up hot coolant expansion & pressure increases & pops the side tank seal or the plastic splits in the radiator , then it leaks until the pressure drops then the leak stops , generally will only leak after a really hot day or a hot trip.
You can also buy a full alloy raiator for about $500 (no Plastic) but you have to be keeping the car for a few years to pay for the extra expense.

Thats prob whats happening cos it doesnt leak all the time. And it hasnt overheated at all. Is it easy to replace them?

SavVYute

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S V6 Ute Series II 2004
It’s not something simple like your windscreen washer reservoir bottle is overfilled… and maybe overflowing when you go around a corner?
The lid’s right next to the battery ...and they don’t seal real tight.

Would be an easy fix if it was!

rydogz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY II SS
yes it is. I would type you instructions but I have to go to work now and my engine is slighty different. Just buy a gregory's or haines manual from repco/super cheap and go from there.

Make sure you don't get coolant on any paint work, cover the front of the car when you lift it out.

2002VY

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY Exec
It’s not something simple like your windscreen washer reservoir bottle is overfilled… and maybe overflowing when you go around a corner?
The lid’s right next to the battery ...and they don’t seal real tight.

Would be an easy fix if it was!

No unfortunately nothing that simple. There is red coolant leaking.
The thing that still stumps me is if it leaks as soon as i shut the engine off, the leaking coolant should be hot but its as cold as a witchs tit!!

2002VY

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY Exec
I spoke to my mechanic today and based on what I told him, he seems to think its the heater core seeing as though the coolant is cold. He said 600 to 800 to fix it or he can bypass it but ill have no heater. Its going in on thursday so he can check it out and find out for sure