Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VY LED Light Conversion

StormVY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Storm Ute
Here is some information you will need to buy and install LED lights around your car. Please note I drive a VY Storm which is very similar to an S pack but with and SS bodykit. I'll add to this as people give information, when I have time or when I do more work on my car.

First some numbers:
Standard VY lights (Not projector)
Headlights - H4/H1 55/60watt 12V
Fog Lights - H3 12V 5w
Parkers - T10 5w wedge parkers

Projector lights (ones with glass looking light)
Berlina, Calais, HSV
Low Beams - H11 55w
High Beams - H9 65w
Parkers - W5W

(Main source but I modified it as I think a few specs are wrong there. Another post with VY globe specs.)

Getting your front bumper off:
VZ Bumper removal
First few steps of this tutorial

A note on LED lights: Always look for "SMD" style LED lights. These are the style that have a flat surface, not the round globe look. They project a brighter, cleaner light.
Although the voltage remains the same (12V) the wattage will change and you may need to look into resistors. Read up here, here and here for more information on this.
When searching eBay for LEDs always put "White", "SMD" and "LED" in your search terms and look for 4000-4500k colour temperature for the best white colours. The higher the colour temp, the bluer it is.

Parker lights (T10/W5W):
For my VY I purchased a pair of T10 LED lights. The first pair I got were too blue and when I purchased my first globes I got a free pair of T10s and they were much whiter.

To install these you do a twist of the small compartment at the bottom of the back of the headlight unit and take the cylinder out. Remember when you are installing these you need to plug them in the right way around.

Rear number plate lights (T10/W5W):
Similar to the parker lights I got some 12V T10 W5W SMD White LEDs and did a straight swap. You may actually want to look at the globe style LEDs for this one as you want a more spread out light. Remember they are going in on their side. You could also try to coat the inside of the enclosure with foil or reflective paint.

The globe surrounds just clip out and then twist out.

Fog lights/lamps (H3):
The first set I got were 12V SMD LEDs with 9 LEDs on them. One side of one of the arrays blew recently. Just ordered a new pair with 26 SMD LEDs on it, 3W and also 12V.

To get to these just unscrew the 3 bolts on the back and then the small screw on the front that holds the silver rim. You should be able to get the light out enough to access the back of the surround from the front of the car.

Note: LED's in your foggies will drastically reduce the output of them. You really only want to change these over for show reasons, they will no longer serve a functional purpose.

Rear indicators:
Note I drive a ute, I can't confirm these are the same globes as a sedan.
Socket type: BAU15S Offset
Bulb type: 1156 Amber
I purchased a new indicator flasher fuse that is designed to work with LEDs. The only downside is that the indicator begins its cycle on a pause now, not a flash. Quite frustrating for the quick one flash lane change as there is a delay in the indicator flashing. Note: the delay is the same time as the inbetween flash time so not the biggest deal in the world. If you don't want the easy way out, you will probably need to look into wiring in a resistor to stop fast flashing or cruise control issues. See one of the links in the LED notes about for information on this by "sixes".

DRLs (Daytime running lamps)
See here or here or just search LED strip on the forums.

Please give me your suggestions and information so I can update this.

Last edited:

Killswitch

Reaction score
Members Ride
WL HSV Grange
Nice thread mate.

Does anyone know the style of lights the interior use in the VY Berlina? 2 up front in the sunglasses holder and the 2 in the rear read lights, just on roof handles.

Edit:
Whoops

9cd17c67_holy20thread20resurrection.jpg

Fez01

VY SS Crewman
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy SS Crewman
hey mate the two rear ones are are festoon globe and can be changed for leds however i have been able to source to front two reading ones so i fitted some t10s in and they work a treat, u live in perth so if you like i can do this for you let me know!

Killswitch

Reaction score
Members Ride
WL HSV Grange
Thanks mate do you know how long the festoon ones are? How did you fit the T10 in there?

Fez01

VY SS Crewman
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy SS Crewman
31mm From memory, on the side of the light there is a little slot, if u put flat head just to POP the light out u can get the festoon globe out, remember to not touch glass just the ends where the metal is if u want to reuse it, something about oils from your skin ruins the globes same as halogens, but then just measure it.
As for the front open the sunglasses holder two Phillips screws the whole thing slides down and back towards the windscreen, then unplug connector and then should see some metal reflectors 2 each side they are your positive and negative for the globe it like a bas21 globe but smaller so I put a t5 In mine but mate wanted brighter so put t10 in his, u have to make a bracket for t10 and there are also black/red and green cables u have to unscrew they hqve ring crimps they are your positive and negative, u also will need a t10 globe holder and t10 globe I put ring crimps on the end of the holder and screwed down where existing crimps where and put the holder mounted into The bracket may have cable tied though cause think bracket was a pain, leds are polarity correct so the have be right way in or they won't work!
Fez

philbio

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK + VY Gas Cars
Digging up an old thread here, want to put some LED headlight globes in the projector low beams (Calais - H11 globes), does anyone know any units that will fit inside the headlight unit so that the cap seal can be replaced to keep water/dirt out? Seem like replacements need to have the cap off to allow the heatsink room which sort of allows crap into the headlight assembly, I took a look at the JW Speaker unit but the sales guys couldn't guarantee that it would fit?