Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VY Light Globes

Some541

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Calais
I thought i would make up a list of what size globes are in the car cause i see alot of people always asking.
Maybe we can list this post in the FAQ sticky aswell just to help people find it, So here goes.

Headlight Low/Hi (H4/H1 55w)
Fog Light (H3)
Parker (T10 5w)
Indicator Front (Offset Bayonet - Orange 21w)
" Side (T10 5w)
" Rear (Offset Bayonet - Silver 21w)
Break Light (Bayonet 21w)
Taillight (Bayonet 5w)
Number Plate (T10 5w)
Dome Light (42mm Festoon 10w)
Front Map Light (Bayonet 5w)
Rear Map Light (42mm Festoon 5w)
Glovebox (42mm Festoon 5w)
Footwell Lights (T10 2.7w)
Visor Mirror Lights (T10 1.2w)
Door Courtesy Light (42mm Festoon 5w)
Console Bin Light (42mm Festoon 5w)
Ignition Courtesy Light (T10 1.2w)

If i have missed any or got them wrong please post and let me know. :D

Fletch_QLD

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU II SS
And for those of us with Calais or other vehicles fitted with projector headlights :

H9 High Beams and H11 Low Beams.

Of course, let's not forget that the best performance mod for projector lights is to fit H9 bulbs in the low beam ;-)

Some541

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Calais
Nice Write up there. Might save this somewhere incase i feel like changing some of those lights i never really thought about :)

Haha yer im changing all mine to super bright white LEDs and had to find out what they all were, Just wanted to share and save other people some time.

And for those of us with Calais or other vehicles fitted with projector headlights :

H9 High Beams and H11 Low Beams.

Of course, let's not forget that the best performance mod for projector lights is to fit H9 bulbs in the low beam ;-)

So the H9 will fit in the low beams? I want to upgrade my headlights and was thinkin of goin HID in my Calais.

Aadil

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY S1 S Pack
i love u long time.

edit: what about in the dome light the two reading ones? (VY S pack 2003)

Fletch_QLD

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU II SS
Yo Some541

There is a simple mod required - some cutting/filing to do to the plastic locator lugs on a H9 bulb to fit it into the low beam light.
The advantage is, you get a 65watt bulb, but most importantly, the H9 bulb is not "dipped in black paint" to diffuse forward facing light from the bulb.

All this extra light is well focused/aimed/diffused by the projector lamp so that oncoming drivers do not suffer your glare, but the increase in light output on the road is well worthwhile.

Some541

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Calais
i love u long time.

edit: what about in the dome light the two reading ones? (VY S pack 2003)

There on the list, Front map lights :D Bayonett 5w

Yo Some541

There is a simple mod required - some cutting/filing to do to the plastic locator lugs on a H9 bulb to fit it into the low beam light.
The advantage is, you get a 65watt bulb, but most importantly, the H9 bulb is not "dipped in black paint" to diffuse forward facing light from the bulb.

All this extra light is well focused/aimed/diffused by the projector lamp so that oncoming drivers do not suffer your glare, but the increase in light output on the road is well worthwhile.

Thanks for the info, Might give it a crack this weekend. :)

TMM

OEM+
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina S2
Actually the lack of the black part on the H9 is sort of a bad thing. It's supposed to block the light because the light coming out the front of the globe. If you look at the design of a projector it is constructed with both a reflector and a glass lense. The light is supposed to come out the sides and rear of the globe, reflect off the reflector and get projected by the glass lense. Light should not go straight from the globe to the glass lense.
If you park up against a wall you will see it causes a sort of halo effect (glare for oncoming cars) on the wall above the cutoff point. Needless to say it's negligible and far less of a problem than the idiots that do a HID conversion.

Even on a lot of reflector headlights you will see they have a little metal shield that sits infront of the globe and blocks the light coming out of the front of it.

They don't put the black coating on H9s because they are a high beam globe, so any unfocused light is not an issue. They probably save themselves a few cents by not coating it.

The reason why H9s are better is because the filament burns much hotter than a H11. That means whiter light and higher efficiency - more light output per watt. H9 uses 18% more power (65w vs 55w) but makes 55% more light! (2100lumen vs 1350lumen).
The only real disadvantage is that they don't last as long.