Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VY LS1 Air Con Fault

VT2Commie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT2 Clubsport R8
If the evaporative temprature sensor is showing -31 degrees it will need to be checked to see if it's plugged in or the wiring to it damaged. it is up behind the rear of the HVAC unit and very difficult if not impossible to get to installed in the vehicle. The whole dash will need removal to gain access to the sensor to replace, by removing the complete HVAC case from the vehicle.

You may be able to get to the sensor connector to test it but it would be a squeeze.

Joshcw85

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY II HSV Clubsport
1608012379871.png

Here is the internal one :)

Just got to pull the dash apart to get it out, it is making more sense that this sensor is playing up, I took the car for a spin today and used the auto climate feature. It blew heated air into my face, when i had the car set at 20 deg. So if this sensor is reading -31, the HVAC is thinking the vehicle needs some hot air to get to that, the sad thing was, the O/S temp sensor was correct and read 37 deg. lol

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Having done this job on two cars, I'd suggest replacing the heater core, evaporator, TXV at the same time.

I also came across a VY HVAC (everything) new from Eagle Auto Parts in Melbourne, last night.
They had new engine and dash harnesses at affordable prices. I was browsing their eBay store. So much cool stuff.

I was disappointed I didn't find this last year when I did my VE. They had a whole new unit for $250 or something. Would have made the job a walk in the park.

Reactions: Lex

Joshcw85

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY II HSV Clubsport
Having done this job on two cars, I'd suggest replacing the heater core, evaporator, TXV at the same time.

I also came across a VY HVAC (everything) new from Eagle Auto Parts in Melbourne, last night.
They had new engine and dash harnesses at affordable prices. I was browsing their eBay store. So much cool stuff.

I was disappointed I didn't find this last year when I did my VE. They had a whole new unit for $250 or something. Would have made the job a walk in the park.

Yeah nice,

I brought a GM evap sensor for $7 new from a holden store, i will test this out and see how it goes first, if this fails i will look at a whole new system. My car only has 120,000km so hasnt been abused much.

I will let you know how it all goes :)

VT2Commie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT2 Clubsport R8
Also note if you go down the route of removing and replacing this sensor it MUST be installed onto the evaporator core in a PRECISE position or you will have more issues with the A/C system performance.

1608036303742.png