Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VY LS1 ticking noise.

Pie-VK

That guy.
Reaction score
Members Ride
Series I VY SS Ute 5.7/M6
Hey guys.

I'm looking at buying a VY SS, unfortunately its a bit far away from where I live, so viewing the car is a bit hard, before I decide if I want to even go see the car, I asked the owner to send a video of the car on cold start, just to check if it has rod knock or anything.

The owner said that the car hasn't been started in 2 and a half weeks, but it produces a very audible ticking noise, does anyone have any idea what this noise is? Could it be the lifters? Could the oil have drained from the lifters while it's been sitting.

"
Thanks.

Tonner Matt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 1 Tonner LS1 M6
How many k's on it & how much are they asking for it ?
Definitely lifters/valve train noise to me....It's not making that distinctive sound of a big end knock
Unless the car was dirt cheap and in really good condition I would most likely give it a miss and look elsewhere, but only because of the fact that it is going to need some work....I really want to be driving the car I bought, not spending time fixing it.
You are probably well aware that the heads have to come off to replace the lifters, so just remember that you'll be up for at a bare minimum:
Lifters & Lifter buckets
Head gaskets & Head bolts
Valve springs....I would be replacing them as a safety measure anyway
New coolant & Oil and Oil filter
Plus you're also up for labour if you're not going to do the job yourself
Just some food for thought...…..
If you do end up buying it, whilst it's apart getting the lifters replaced you might as well put in a new oil pump, timing chain, shave the heads and throw a cam in it

Last edited:

Pie-VK

That guy.
Reaction score
Members Ride
122k, I've seen the receipts for servicing, and it's been serviced every 5k.

But it hasn't been started for 2 and a half weeks. I did notice in the video the ticking quietens down after he returns back to the front of the car. could the oil have seeped out of them while?

Tonner Matt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 1 Tonner LS1 M6
122k's with receipts and serviced every 5k's sounds good especially if the price is right and it's in good knick

Yes lifters can leak down (so to speak) over time, and I agree that the ticking is noticeably quieter if you compare it at 10 seconds to at 58 seconds in the video
The fact that it sat for 2 1/2 weeks really means nothing, the fact is it is still noisy and will require attention

Just for a noise comparison....
I went on holidays for 2 months and my VZ 1 Tonner didn't get started whilst I was away so I expected it to rattle it's arse off momentarily when I first started it but it didn't.
Although it did tick for maybe 1 to 2 seconds after start up until the oil got right through the motor, it was only the rocker arms doing the ticking because they were obviously bone dry from sitting for 2 months

Pie-VK

That guy.
Reaction score
Members Ride
The body is in great condition aside from a dent in the tail gate. He is asking for 7200, but i'm sure i'll be able to talk him down.

could the extractors/lack of an engine cover make any difference?

Tonner Matt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 1 Tonner LS1 M6
I'd definitely be using the "It needs the lifters replaced" as a bargaining tool, and if he didn't come down on his asking price a reasonable amount I'd just walk away
The old dented tailgate :( You don't see to many older utes around nowadays without a dent in the tailgate
Lack of an engine cover makes no difference to engine noise
The fitment of extractors will make normal valve train noise more noticeable as they are a thinner metal than the original cast exhaust manifolds....But that is definitely not what the noise is in the video

Pie-VK

That guy.
Reaction score
Members Ride
thanks for the info, I'll give it a try.