Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VY LSD Excessive Left Rear tyre wear

smidey

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN SS WM 6L
Hey Team
My old man has a Exec VYII that was built as a police car for here in NZ. He bought it brand new as the govt sold off a bunch of new cars they didn't require but anyway.....

I has FE2 suspension, v8 brakes and a LSD factory fitted. He has noticed the left rear has worn significantly faster than the right rear. It seems to drive normally and has not noticed anything else out of the ordinary. Car has done around 80,000ks.

Anyone come across this before?

Bowen

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VX S manual 3.8L SP
Could Be a lot of things, not necessarily relating to diff, tire pressure, buckled rim, camber, etc etc

HSV 671

Reaction score
Members Ride
04 VY CLUBSPORT MM6
Worn bushes

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Personally, I would suggest trying a wheel alignment and posting up the end result......There is a good possibility, the left hand rear control arm assembley might be bent, meaning you have camber and toe issues, causing the excessive wear....

I quite often strike this problem, as it's generally the left rear that cops the gutter wack for what ever reason...

smidey

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN SS WM 6L
Personally, I would suggest trying a wheel alignment and posting up the end result......There is a good possibility, the left hand rear control arm assembley might be bent, meaning you have camber and toe issues, causing the excessive wear....

I quite often strike this problem, as it's generally the left rear that cops the gutter wack for what ever reason...
thanks for that, it had a alignment with it's new tyres and was sweet so bushes may be what it is.

anarklov3r

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 WM Caprice
I've also had bad shocks cause excessive wear (tyres become scalloped out, do a google image search if you arent sure what this looks like)

Generally:
outer wear on both sides is low tyre pressure
excessive wear in the centre of the tyre is over inflation
excessive but even wear, on the inner side, is often toe or camber issues
excessive but even wear, on the outer side, is often incorrect camber
both rear tyres having excessive wear (and rubber mist on your rear quarters) could be your toe completely out (happened to me once, 10 degrees of camber by a dodgy wheel alignment place meant my tyres only lasted about 6,000kms

HSV 671

Reaction score
Members Ride
04 VY CLUBSPORT MM6
Where abouts on the tyre and how is it worn?
FE2 is one step lower than factory height. Your standard height rear camber adjustment is +- 1.5? degrees of adjustment? The Lower the ride the bigger the degree kit needed. I'd say one side might be flogged out a little more? Strange at 80k...

smidey

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN SS WM 6L
it wore evenly across the entire tyre, no edge wear just wore out significantly faster than the other rear tyre.

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
rotate the tyres more often

HSV 671

Reaction score
Members Ride
04 VY CLUBSPORT MM6
Are they all the same tyre