Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vy lsd question

Ethanol225

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy berlina series 2
Not sure if right place to post but looking at an lsd center or mini spoil for my vy v6 series 2. Not looking for opinions or to start a war of opinions and questionable facts. My question is how many spline is the auto vy series 2 non lsd diff with the code “FL” Are all diff’s of the vy m80 28 spline type, so will a mini spoil or lsd for the supercharged vy or the v8 fit the v6 I have?
Thankyou in advance!

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
L67's did not come with a LSD as STD equipment, they were usually single spinners,
Where they were STD for V8's,
However I put a 3.07 LSD in my L67 VY [the same as the original ratio] and doesn't spin, but can break lose in the wet, but that comes down to adjusting driving habits in the wet,
Keeping in mind, if you change the ratio, you need to adjust the PPK inthe instrument to compensate for the ratio change, and that also include taking into account the size of tyres and wheels your running, so in nut shell, maybe stick with the existing ratio.

Getting back your question, most of the diffs are the same type [M80], apart from the Diff yoke, 4 bolt or 3 bolt, where the later pinion shafts are a bit longer to accept some different tail shafts coupling, and have to be modified a bit.

Last edited:

Ethanol225

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy berlina series 2
Thanks for the reply mate! And yeah all I needed to know was that they are all the same m80. Mine is the 3 bolt which seems to be more common. In the wet i can drift around no problems by weight transfer either by feinting in or just going hard into a turn in first or seccond and stab the throttle. But I would love to be able to get sideways nice and easy just by hitting the throttle. I am planning on going with either the 3.07 or 3.08 to keep the same gear ratio but also like the idea of a little more punch of the 3.47. And yeah I am aware I will need to get things calibrated. And I have a mace tuned ecu so shift points can be changed to run a shorter ratio more economically. But yeah thanks for answering my question about the diffs, I have just seen on eBay the diff centres say they will only fit supercharged or v8 models but I was pretty sure the actual diff structure was the same.
Cheers,
Ethan

WazzaVN

Wazza VN
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 6ltr ute, VP Calais and HJ Prem
Yeah the diff housings are the same but imo the V6 m78 have a better lsd centre I think the 78's are cone type and the 80's are cup and cone type the m80 lsd centres wear out quick I've been through a few and they single out pretty quick with some abuse my diff in my vp which is an m78 is still really good and tight.

So all vp to vs had m78's, vt - vy V6 were 78, vt - vz V8 were m80 and so were l67's but most of l67 are open centre (peggers).