Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Samual Anthony

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY, ASV Ltd, V6 - N/A
Currently own a VY commodore with leaky Transmission problem.
Believe it to be the pump. Not a clue on fixing it and have been considering a conversion for a while.

First off Getrag 260 versus Borg-Warner T-5.
Personally would prefer the tremac T-56 but is not a cost effective swap

For the purpose of the swap will be buying a Donor car.
For this the Borg-Warner T-5 is preferable for the obvious reason that it is more cost effective being featured in the VN - VS also 86 - 04 falcons came with this gearbox. aswell as several other GM/Ford models and I believe a Nissan or two. I know there is a difference between the drive shafts and the shifter location and I believe a slight difference between the ratios so on and so forth. but none the less cheaper.

But of course the 260 replacing the T-5 would have had it's own reasons that I am not 100% on?

Of course would prefer to keep the engine I have but not against engine swap for right reasons, Including less miles or better condition etc. not overly protective of the 10kw difference between the 3800 and the Ecotec. My understanding is the engines feature the same block and the major difference is in the head design, also different intake manifolds.

After thought, difference between the computers between the VN - VP - VR - VS - VT - VX - VY? Tuning wise will a VT and VX computer work with a VY engine and vise versa

Thoughts on this?
Links to guides and information on the gear would be helpful? Review attempts, testimonials and videos are also welcome.
Mostly just going to be working out of the manual for the VT, VX & VY as well as the manual for the vehicle that I get the gearbox from.

My current plan is,
Using clutch slave and all necessary parts to get the T-5 to run from a falcon (Have a falcon rusting away with a 5 speed, another one with a 4 speed and 2 engines sitting in the shed with a 5 speed) 4 speed is on a 6 and all the 5's are on 351's
Getting a commodore gearbox to bypass the problem with the different drive shafts and ratios (no after market bell housing for me) Versus Falcon T-5 and fabricate parts for the bell housing to get it to fit?
And fabricating everything that doesn't fit / swap over
Rebuild the Diff to stock manual ratio versus get a Manual diff Versus leave the auto diff as is and go faster?
manual computers and engine wiring harness for the 3.8L

Last edited:

Bowen

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VX S manual 3.8L SP
Computers from vt vx vu vy will work fine with any of those engines, you can't run a Buick without all the wiring etc and you can't have an older engine than your build plate for the vehicle for emissions reasons.

The T5 in my opinion is better than the 260, however didn't come in anything past vs, T5 seems to hold up alot better and is cheap to fix and replace, getrags are weak as piss and expensive to fix ( iv had 3 of them)

The T5 Is cable operated clutch assembly so if you run a decent pressure plate then its a pain in the ass...

T56 is cost effective I did mine for $3000 inc everything..... You would want a reco'd getrag (if u choose getrag) and they're about $1200, new clutch n smf which is another $1000, so what's another $800 ?? If its going to break which it will inevitably itl cost u more in the long run?

My opinion if your mechanically minded and can do a bit of custom work go T56 for sure!

If your not get a reco'd getrag and throw it in with all bits needed from a doner, new clutch n smf probs get away for $2000? You will need the x member, tail shaft, master n slave cylinder, hydraulic lines, shifter plate, console, linkages, etc i just sold all that recently for $650 so shouldn't be hard to find (gbox included but had a bit of shaft play) job done.

Alternatively you could go the T5 which I don't really have any experience with but they're cheaper to buy and hold up better so I dunno do a bit more research and go from there...

Hope this helps

Bowen

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VX S manual 3.8L SP
Manual and auto diffs differ by 0.01 turns of the pinion to the crown wheel don't waste your time ....

If you want to reco the diff re shim the cones and lash, and throw in a 3.45 or similar crown wheel n pinion from falcon or commodore

Filb

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY sedan+ wifes VYII wagon.
Bowen what are the advantages of the 3.45 as opposed to the 3.08 diff?. Which one has a better top end or is there minimal difference?

Bowen

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VX S manual 3.8L SP
Well the 3.45 :1 speeds up quicker and doesn't effect economy much ( think it picks up 400rpm in 5th or there bouts) but will affect top speed but unless u take the car to the track you won't notice a difference in top speed (your probs only reducing it by 30kms?? ) my opinion great upgrade pretty cost effective I got a new center n new cones, re shimmed and a new 3.93 ratio crown wheel n pinion for $1000!

The only reason I suggested 3.45 is its about the highest you can go without really effecting economy a pretty good kind of all rounder for the getrag or T5 transmission

Filb

Reaction score
Members Ride
Whats a good diff for towing a 800 kg trailer is the 3.45 just as good or better having a little more bottom end

Bowen

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VX S manual 3.8L SP
The higher the ratio the better it will be to tow (to a degree) your basically reducing engine load.... Like I said though I wouldn't go past 3.45 if I was you just cause the higher u go the more your going to shortern each gear first in particular will be a pita if you go too higher ratio.....

Some people run 4.11 with their t5 or getrag ....

The 3.45 is just my opinion on what's a good all rounder you know....

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
The higher the ratio the better it will be to tow (to a degree) your basically reducing engine load.... Like I said though I wouldn't go past 3.45 if I was you just cause the higher u go the more your going to shortern each gear first in particular will be a pita if you go too higher ratio.....

Some people run 4.11 with their t5 or getrag ....

The 3.45 is just my opinion on what's a good all rounder you know....

Bowen

That statement of yours I have in bold print is a bit confusing, in light of the advice the OP has requested. Do you mean the lower the ratio, the better it will be to tow? 4.11:1 is lower than 3.45:1 and would be easier for a car used for towing, but would provide a pretty poor top end, lots of revs and lousy fuel consumption, particularly as the Buicks and Ecotecs don't like lots of revs.

Bowen

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VX S manual 3.8L SP
I thin what we mean is the "shorter" the ratio is the better for towing because as a mathematics ratio 4.11:1 is larger ratio than 3.45:1, so lets forget the confusion and use proper differential terms lol taller and shorter it is haha u know what I ment ;)

Yeah somebody with experience running both these crown wheel n pinions please respond as to rpm in 5th at say 100 I would think 3.45 would sit at around 2200 and 4.11 say 3000 ? At a guess I run 3.9:1 but I have t56 which puts me at 2000 right where I wanna be ;)

Filb

Reaction score
Members Ride
Thanx guys it all helps :beer chug: