Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[Ecotec] VY Oil suggestion

Discussion in 'V6 Development And Modification' started by exec24, Aug 29, 2019.

1. exec24

exec24 Active Member

Members Ride:
    VY Berlina Series 2
    Hi, i know its been asked may times before but just want to know which grade of oil people use on there VY V6

the reason i ask is i purchased a VY 1 tonner about 9 months ago, with 182,000k's, it was due for a service @ 190,000k's which it has just reached. I dont have any service history on it and am looking to do it first oil change since i bought it.

i use penrite and on my other VY v6 sedan which has 160,000k's i use HPR15, and have done since i purchased it when it was 2 years old with 28,000k's, serviced every 5000k's never had an issue

i was planning on using HPR15 again on the ute, but thought id check the recommended guide on the penrite website which said to use HPR 5 (5W-40 Fully Synthetic) for the 1 tonner, i thought that was a bit light, so then thought id check what comes up for VY v6 sedan it said HPR 10 (10W-50 Full Synthetic)

now im a bit lost as there are 3 different options, I only want to use penrite, and car will be serviced every 5000k's

2. tml678

tml678 Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    HSV30 Senator (w/end), '00 Magna, '17 Carnival
    With those kms, I'd stick with the 10w-50. You could probably drop down to a 5w-40 if it's still fairly cold where you are. If she's a loose old rattler then you could even look at 20w-60, although you'd want to have a fairly worn motor for that.

Most importantly, use a quality full-synth like the Penrite and change regularly, every 7500kms would be my suggestion.

3. greenacc

greenacc Searching for the billion

Members Ride:
    VE Berlina
    Agree. I'd go 10w50 to start with. See how it goes. if it burns a lot of oil go thicker, and if you tow heavy loads long distance in summer then maybe go 20w50.

4. exec24

exec24 Active Member

Members Ride:
    VY Berlina Series 2
    No problem I only only ever use The Penrite HPR range anyway and all my cars get served at 5000k intervals

This one will be a big one for the ute, as I plan on doing the engine oil and filter, transmission oil and filter and diff oil so I know where everything is up to

5. tml678

tml678 Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    HSV30 Senator (w/end), '00 Magna, '17 Carnival
    Might be worth doing the coolant and brake fluid as well in that case

6. greenacc

greenacc Searching for the billion

Members Ride:
    VE Berlina
    Well Supercheap sells the cheapest trans filter kits and most brands sell the same filter in a different box ;)

7. exec24

exec24 Active Member

Members Ride:
    VY Berlina Series 2
    Yeah will do them too

I’ve got the Trans filters kits already, bought some Ryco ones off eBay on sale from sparesbox, bought 2 sets paid about $17 each

greenacc likes this.