Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VY or VZ?

vycrewy

Reaction score
Members Ride
05 crewman cross8
What month defines the commodore to be a VZ ? I have a November 2003 Cross8 is it a VY, VYII, VZ?

Also being a Cross 8 crewman does it have airbags in the seats. Need seat covers and need to know if they need to be airbag compatible.

MiKExAUS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS A4 Series II
there is no such thing as an '03 VZ but i'm not sure about SI or SII.

There isn't airbags in the actual seats but there are sensors and electronic underneath them which you need to be careful messing with. and Im pretty sure all vy's on have front airbags so i dont really see how seat covers depend on it.

Sorry if i'm wrong but that's all I know.

vycrewy

Reaction score
Members Ride
05 crewman cross8

There isn't airbags in the actual seats but there are sensors and electronic underneath them which you need to be careful messing with. and Im pretty sure all vy's on have front airbags so i dont really see how seat covers depend on it.

Ok, so i dont need to get airbag compatible seat covers?

dgp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline
If your seats have airbags, there will be a little black tag hanging out of the seam with Air Bag written on it.

jeepyrocks

Reaction score
Members Ride
BMW 535D, VR V6 Ute

There most certainly is airbags in the seats if it has side airbags fitted. As mentioned above, it will have a small srs or airbag tag on the seat. Also will have a sticker on the outer pillars of the car saying "srs side airbag" though at its age, they may have been removed. The side airbags are built into the outer wings of the seats on cars equipped, and in a collision, tear through the stitching to inflate- hence the seat cover issue if you install the wrong ones.

As for VY, VY2, VZ, the crewmans and adventras are a mixed bunch as there were models with VZ plates but VY shape (headlights/bonnet), then in 05 by memory they properly moved to the VZ styling. yours being 03 will be VY2. Easy way to confirm- if it has a seatbelt reminder light and it beeps after a period of not putting it on, then its a series 2. Series 1 vy didnt get this.

R

Risky

As for VY, VY2, VZ, the crewmans and adventras are a mixed bunch as there were models with VZ plates but VY shape (headlights/bonnet), then in 05 by memory they properly moved to the VZ styling. yours being 03 will be VY2. Easy way to confirm- if it has a seatbelt reminder light and it beeps after a period of not putting it on, then its a series 2. Series 1 vy didnt get this.

The seats I installed in my VY S series I were from a VZ SVZ non-airbag. The plugs had to be changed cos of the seatbelt reminder. The VZ series never had a series II.

vycrewy

Reaction score
Members Ride
05 crewman cross8
There most certainly is airbags in the seats if it has side airbags fitted. As mentioned above, it will have a small srs or airbag tag on the seat. Also will have a sticker on the outer pillars of the car saying "srs side airbag" though at its age, they may have been removed. The side airbags are built into the outer wings of the seats on cars equipped, and in a collision, tear through the stitching to inflate- hence the seat cover issue if you install the wrong ones.

The car definitely does have the seat belt reminder, gets very anoying as im on job sites alot and bearly hit 20kph or just sitting in the car for periods of time and it goes off.

Ive noticed the front bars are differentin vys and vzs, my headlights dont have the little peice down the bottom of the light which i think is the parker and many p plates change for a coloured bulb.

I didnt know the bonnets were different between the two models.

R

Risky

From what I've read from Holden historical sites the VY Crewman Cross 8 came out in December 2003 with the VZ coming out in August 2004. I don't know what your build plate says but don't put it past Holden to use VY panels on a VZ Cross 8. I remember the HG commercial range having 202 engines before being released in the HQ's. HG commercial range were still on sale new in '71 & '72 until the HQ commercial range fully came along.