Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vy overheating issues v6

NzCommyMan

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 Vy Holden Commodore Executive s2 3.8l V6 auto
I know this has been asked hundreds of times but I can't seem to diagnose this overheating issue.

I've replaced the water pump, radiator, heater core tap, radiator cap, tried multiple thermostats, no thermostat.

I've bleed it multiple times with the factory requirements, it sits there for 2 hours idling, it sits at temp perfectly and does not move.

As soon as I take it for a drive and put it under load it shoots up in sections, it doesn't gradually move it jumps in 3 stages. Then as soon as your cruising at 100kmh it drops back down.

It's got me stuck, it doesn't seem to be overheating as such. No boiling or steam.

Any help would be appreciated.

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
I know this has been asked hundreds of times but I can't seem to diagnose this overheating issue.

I've replaced the water pump, radiator, heater core tap, radiator cap, tried multiple thermostats, no thermostat.

I've bleed it multiple times with the factory requirements, it sits there for 2 hours idling, it sits at temp perfectly and does not move.

As soon as I take it for a drive and put it under load it shoots up in sections, it doesn't gradually move it jumps in 3 stages. Then as soon as your cruising at 100kmh it drops back down.

It's got me stuck, it doesn't seem to be overheating as such. No boiling or steam.

When its overheating what is the top radiator hose like?

Vy man 66

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy Commodore calais

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon

Vy man 66

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy Commodore calais
Your getting air into system somewhere, check all hoses are tight, nothing loose especially bottom hose, check for leaks, proper way if you can, use ramps to get better look,, otherwise it could be a crack in heads, check oil stick,if it's black sweet if ugly an white like milk it's bad news!!!!!!, last check on o ring which is located in heater pipe that slides through an behind belt tension pulled,,hope u find it!!!!!!

countrylife

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden Commodore VE SV6 2008 Sedan 3.6L
My Ve 2008 is doing this? How did you go with diagnosing the problem?

87VLCALAIS

Reaction score
Members Ride
3.8 VY S Manual, ZB RSV
Do you need to keep topping the radiator up?

Mine leaks water from the cover plate behind the bell housing. Water leaks out and when it cools down it sucks air in.

When you have air in the system you will hear the air bubbles flowing (rumbling) through the heater core.

I run it with the radiator cap backed off to the first notch and all is OK.