Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VY passenger doors won’t unlock

I love my VT

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive Wagon and Stretched VS Ute
Hi everyone. I have a 2002 VY sedan. In recent weeks, the remote has been failing to unlock the passenger doors. Very occasionally if I repeatedly press the unlock on the remote they may open. Even when I get in the car (remote works fine for the drivers door and the boot) I can’t manually raise the lock button on any of the p

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
There’s a few things it can be. Most common is failing actuator solenoid.

The other thing could be failing relay for the doors in the BCM.

Actuator solenoids are an easy job. You can use any from VT-VZ from passenger or drivers. Remove the solenoid and fit it to the relative lock assembly you have there on your car.

Give the assembly a good clean. Relube with silicone grease/paste, white lithium grease or silicone spray at a stretch. Don’t use WD40! Dirt sticks like a mofo. Locksmiths always avoid it.

The relay will mean removing the BCM which is easy to do. Take it to an ECU repair place and they will solder in a new relay/s for the doors.

Minor things you can also check are the door loom connections. Use a trim tool to pry the loom boot from the body of the car. You can then undo the plug and reseat it properly again. Check for any dirt in there. Repeat for each door. Take some care reseating the boot back onto the body. Give it a clean also.

I love my VT

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive Wagon and Stretched VS Ute
Thankyou for the response. Given that it is all 3 doors acting the same way it is most likely something central. Would a low key battery have the same result as the BCM relay? The remote works fine for the drivers door.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
No. low battery is low battery. The signal is picked up by the “sun sensor” (and other bits under it) which is in the top middle of the dash. That smooth bit between the vent panels.

I would suggest checking the looms because they cost nothing to check.

There is a BCM repair pdf for indicator relays. A good guide for the door relays.

Personally, I’d be checking the easy stuff first. The loom plugs to the doors. Checking for current at the pins when the door is activated.

You can find a download for the factory manual if you search some of my recent posts. There is a link. Then you have the wiring diagram.

Bay 13

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT.
I was thinking maybe the micro switches are the problem..