Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VY R8 manual - car goes into gear but dont move

Daniel Shane Smith

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY CLUBSPORT R8 SERIES 2 MANUAL
Driving today, changed from 3rd to 2nd, and it just revved out. Came to a stop and tried every gear. Car did not move. Speedo did as i accelerated but car didnt move. Car is manual, and there was no crunching or any noises at all. Please help!!!

markalan1two

Smile and wave boys !!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
X5 BMW, GenF2 GTS, HSV Y R8, AMG C43
clutch or diff

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
You likely won't know until you get the gearbox off. At the easy end of the scale the splined centre could have snapped out of the friction plate of the clutch, the slave cylinder is jammed on and might need replacing (I'd actually reckon this would be the issue), to at the tricky end a broken input shaft or selector fork linkage internally has fallen off or is busted.

Does it still feel like it selects gears properly?

ant797

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy s
Diff speedo is in trans

rambunctious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
If the speedo is moving with acceleration would that not mean gearbox is turning as is tailshaft but diff or axle is the problem.
Does the vy get speed from trans or abs sensors. If the speedo is moving then it sounds like diff/driveshaft issue
I agree, if speedo is moving with acceleration then diff / axle/drive shaft or at worst, rear gearbox shaft.
Place car in gear running with hand brake on and look under if drive shaft is turning, if so then diff/axle problem.

Daniel Shane Smith

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY CLUBSPORT R8 SERIES 2 MANUAL
If the speedo is moving with acceleration would that not mean gearbox is turning as is tailshaft but diff or axle is the problem.

I agree, if speedo is moving with acceleration then diff / axle/drive shaft or at worst, rear gearbox shaft.
Place car in gear running with hand brake on and look under if drive shaft is turning, if so then diff/axle problem.
Definately the diff. Checked that, tailshaft spins, as does the passenger side wheel(car rear on stands) yet doesnt spin when traction control is turned off......