Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VY Radiator

wortus

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Series 2 25th Anniversary in Phantom Mica
My radiator cracked on the way home yesterday. I was wondering what brand is recommended and what ones to steer clear of. I can get genuine for $340 or an Adrad for $231. There are cheaper ones made by TYG or Protex or a Repco one (their brand) for around $190.
I'm leaning towards the Adrad as they reckon they have thicker tank walls.
What experiences have people had with any particular brands?

Bob33

Reaction score
Members Ride
e3 maloo
id avoid repco we had alot of issues with them and there warranty is ****. changed supplier anf no more issues. i think we use adrad now.

uniacidz

Harden the Frak Up
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
ADRAD or original.

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Have TYG in a VE, it's been ok for 6 months so far... they have some decent reviews online in the USA.
If you have the cash I'd go genuine just so you know it should fit perfectly.

wortus

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Series 2 25th Anniversary in Phantom Mica
Thanks for the replies. I picked up an Adrad from my local Natrad this arvo for $231. I've got the old one out and can't see any splits in the tank however there is some rust on the car on the panel under the radiator just in from the bottom mount so I suspect it's the core that has corroded through and it has probably been leaking slowly enough to keep that wet for quite some time.
Has anyone seen these corrode or crack on the core? I've been fastidious with coolant changes since I've had the car (9 years) and before that it was dealer serviced so it's not due to lack of inhibitor/coolant or inhibitor/coolant that's no good and I've always used quality Nulon long life.
Just rust converting that now and will fit it back together later.
With radiator caps do you go Supercheap or genuine?

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Fairly common for those radiators to develope slow leaks like a wet patch on the core. They slowly get bigger and bigger until you find it any replace it or it goes bang and makes itself known all of a sudden...