Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VY Replacing Front Hubs

wortus

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Series 2 25th Anniversary in Phantom Mica
I've found some older posts on this so thought I would post a new thread. Both my front hubs have become noisy there is a noise while driving around 60 to 80kmh and when you jack the car up and spin them they are noisy, the left is worse though they still spin freely with the wheel on.

I am going to replace them both and just wondering whether after market ones are any good and what brands to go for.
I can get genuine for $275 a pair or after markets are around $100. Reason I am asking is a drive shaft place in Sydney that sell son e-bay does them for $97 and I have bought a CV shaft off them before for a Pulsar and it was fine, still going strong. I am a bit wary as with other parts such as radiators there is good after market and crap.

Any advice or experience would be appreciated.

speedyvn

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY Acclaim Wagon
I brought the cheapest r/f wheel hub I could find off ebay, I forget the seller so will see if I can find the item later tonight. A month later it had movement in it. Cost $55 inc postage I think.

lowandslow

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 III Monaro
Buy genuine bearings if you want them to last another 10-15 years.
Cheap bearings are made from cheap steel with cheap grease and generally will fail a lot sooner than you would expect.

wortus

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Series 2 25th Anniversary in Phantom Mica

stick3

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz sedan vs ute gsx1400
Thanks, I bought a CV shaft for a Pulsar off this company a few years ago, it is still working fine. How many km have you done on the new hub?
6-7ks

Gridlocked

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 VFII SV6 Commodore
Agree with above comments on cheap after-market hubs, they are not good and not worth getting. I sent several back to the same internet seller a long while ago for "loosening up" issues where they simply allowed wheel wobble to occur after sever weeks operation. Spend a bit more and buy from a reputable parts dealer. Cheers.

fxxxrr

Reaction score
Members Ride
WL statesman FX holden EH holden
why are the hubs being replaced? can you not replace bearings these days?

stick3

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz sedan vs ute gsx1400
why are the hubs being replaced? can you not replace bearings these days?
no from vr and newer commodores they change the hub design to a one piece unit held in place by three bolts

fxxxrr

Reaction score
Members Ride
WL statesman FX holden EH holden
Well there ya go, learnt something new today. wonder who's brilliant idea that was,