Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vy roller rockers

regals

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy s 3.8l
Hey I just put on my new 1.9 roller rockers and 2 of them have a little playbup and down..... is that normal or should i tighten them up abit more? I torqued all of them to 23 nm

Thanks

MACE

Reaction score
Hi regals,

Thank you for your enquiry:

"Hey I just put on my new 1.9 roller rockers and 2 of them have a little play up and down..... is that normal or should i tighten them up abit more? I torqued all of them to 23 nm"
They should have a small amount of axial play (side to side motion parallel with the trunion/fulcrum shaft), to assist with centralising itself during operation.

When the rockers have been properly installed, there shouldn't be any radial play (be able to rock them up and down) present. as they've been been designed to crush the lifter.

In saying this though, radial play may still be present (assuming proper installation) in the event that the lifters have bleed down providing very little reactive force on the pushrod,

Assuming that none of the lifters have permanently collapsed, then as soon as oil pressure in the engine has built up again (engine running) any radial play which was present will be eliminated due to the fact that oil pressure in the lifters has now taken up the slack.

Please note that the supplied rockers bolts (socket headed cap bolts) in the ecotec kits, need to be torqued up to 23 ft/lb or approximately 31 nm of torque. Given that you've only torqued the rocker bolts to 23 nm, it may be the cause for the play that you're currently experiencing.

If you have any questions please don't hesitate to ask

Kindest Regards,
Steve

regals

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy s 3.8l
Ok I retourqued them and put everything together and went for a drive but something doesnt sound right..... it like a sewing machine noise????

regals

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy s 3.8l
No I didnt.... it just came with the rockers. Would I still be able to drive without the pushrods until they come in?
Thanks

regals

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy s 3.8l
Alrite thanks I just need to drive it to work and back until it comes in hopefully soon

regals

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy s 3.8l
Should I order it through their website or pm Mace??