Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VY S II exhaust help for beginer!

sam.

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S II
Hi to all the other VY owners on the site!
I just purchased a VY S series 2 and need help with exhaust. This is the first car that I plan on getting involved in performance modifications, previous car I only played around with stereos and speaker, so I’m a complete beginner and have come here to ask for your help and knowledge and hopefully get a few questions answered by people who are owners of the VY series commodore.

1) I’m interested in upgrading my exhaust from the cat back with a 2.5'' system, but I’m not sure about things like mufflers, resonators, and hotdogs...? What do I need or what should I ask for when going to an exhaust shop regarding these options?

2) I would like to be able to place the original exhaust back into the car if necessary so it would have to be bolt on. Is this a good idea and any tips about this choice? Can the exhaust shop use the existing hanger points from the stock exhaust?

3) I want a good quality setup with a nice sound; don’t want it to sound all pingy like a Honda Civic haha, Just a deeper tougher sound that gives the engine better smoother flow of exhaust gasses.

4) And after the exhaust has been fitted, would it be recommended to get the car tuned to that exhaust for max gain in power? I know putting an exhaust on only gives a tiny increase in power but I want the car to run healthy with its new pipes.

Also, I live in the Bulleen, Templestowe, and Doncaster area of Melbourne. Anyone have any shop suggestions for me?
I have done some research and i have heared that "Lukey" make good quality exhaust sytems which work great with commodores, what do you think about this?
sorry for all the questions, beginner here! :)

I had a look through the VY section and I couldn’t find any answers to my questions but if any of these have been answered on another section of a site if u could give me a link to it that would b great :)

All your help is much appreciated, thanks everyone!
sam.

Cameron P

Reaction score
Members Ride
REDHOT VX SS
ask for a 2.5inch catback system with a middle muffler and a rear hotdog and a tip of your choice

thats my set up and it sounds nice and loud... not to loud like someones farting but just perfect ;)

although i have extractors so it could sound differently?!

2DIE

ONEDOLLAHOLLA
Reaction score
Website
www.torn.com
Members Ride
97 Acclaim
^^ As above, thats why I have on my current daily, getting the same on my new car too.

sam.

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S II
thanks guys! i like the sound of that. @cameron p, how much mould i be looking a spending on a setup like you mentioned? and would the exhaust shop have to make it custom or do they sell bolt on items as a set for what you just described?