Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VY S (Series 1) Cluster Options

thatbrynguy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY Commodore SS 5.7L M6
Hi,

I've only just joined up today, hoping to ask some questions I can't quite find the answers to :idea: Does anyone know what are my options for swapping out the stock VY S (Series 1) cluster (it just looks so boring...).

I really like the look of the VZ Calais clusters but as far as I know I won't be able to install one, does anybody know of any others that can be installed that look a bit better? Or on the off chance that someone has done it, is there absolutely no way to install the VZ Calais cluster?

Cheers!

FATMOE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Clubsport R8
Just get yourself a HSV cluster out of VY S1.

Get it programmed with a tech 2 and your on your way.

vysute

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS S2 Utility 2004
You're VY wont be compatible with anything other then VY S1 clusters, in my previous vy s ute I got a VY SS cluster which looked fantastic! only problem i had with it was that my SRS airbag system was a 3 loop set up (2 seatbelt pre tensioners and 1 drivers airbag) where as the SS cluster will be programmed for a 4 loop system (2 seat belt pre tensioners, 1 drivers airbag and 1 passenger airbag). So if you plug an SS cluster (or any other higher model cluster with anything higher then the 3 loop system) you will trigger an SRS Airbag fault until the cluster is reprogrammed for the respective loop system. You'll also need to be sure that the cluster you buy comes from the same set up as your car. ie, VY SS cluster will be set for a V8 and Manual/Auto. You'll need it reprogrammed to what you're combo is which looking at you're details is a V6 auto. Any cluster can be reprogrammed for your car. The only reason that the VZ cluster wont work is the wiring to the plug is different and as I've heard will make the fuel guage read upside down/inaccurately. Good luck on the hunt! Hopefully this information can help you make an informed and correct decision.

thatbrynguy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY Commodore SS 5.7L M6
Hey thanks for that, that's the sort of detail I've struggled to find so thanks for all the help :) I do like the look of the SS cluster, I'm only reluctant because while I want to mod the car and improve on it, I don't want to badge it with something that it isn't, it might seem odd, but looking down and seeing "HSV" "SS" or "V8" every day will bug me because I know it's only a V6, which is why I liked the Calais because its not badged, just clean and simple.

Atleast now I can choose from clusters that will actually work! Cheers guys.

vysute

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS S2 Utility 2004
no worries mate, always happy to lend a helping hand from past experiences