Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VY S1 digiatl speed read out

SAV_117

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE V8 Calais
if you hold the mode + set buttons whilst starting the car a serial number comes up. Hit mode and it'll have instantaneous fuel, digital speed, fuel pump resistance, and a few voltages plus a test screen for your cluster.

i just tryed this in my car it works in my car i have an 02 model why doesnt it do it in everyone elses

peterj

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series 1 Berlina
Yep that works in mine too , but the speedo is only a small one and you have to do that everytime you start the car.

MagiTEK

Reaction score
Members Ride
VYII S
doesn't activating the digital speedo override one of the other screens? So i heard anyway.

Bout to get a 3 lcd hsv cluster installed soon. got it. just sitting on it for some money to get it installed.

adamc11

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 VE SS V Z M6
if you hold the mode + set buttons whilst starting the car a serial number comes up. Hit mode and it'll have instantaneous fuel, digital speed, fuel pump resistance, and a few voltages plus a test screen for your cluster.

Thanks for that, didn't realise you could do it. Just one question though, with the instantaneous fuel, it displays it in L/h. I know the 3 display clusters display instantaneous fuel in L/h only when your stationary... when you start moving, it changes to L/100km. So when i'm moving, is it actually L/100km or is it still L/h?

one_and_only2004

Turbo L98 FTW
Reaction score
Members Ride
Z Series Thunder Utility - Turbo
Thanks for that, didn't realise you could do it. Just one question though, with the instantaneous fuel, it displays it in L/h. I know the 3 display clusters display instantaneous fuel in L/h only when your stationary... when you start moving, it changes to L/100km. So when i'm moving, is it actually L/100km or is it still L/h?

It'd be giving you your instantaneous L/100km while you drive. Try driving at 3000rpm in 2nd, then try the same in 4th - It should give you a different reading. Haven't bothered myself, i just found the menu whilst trying to turn off that annoying rest reminder - if i was worried about fuel i'd have a yaris or a colt..
My friend showed me in his VU ute that if he went down a hill in gear it seems the injectors stop pumping as a reading of 0L/Min comes up - explains why the ute seems so hesitant to speed up rolling down hills.

Royboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV E3 R8 CLUBSPORT 2011
I have a VY SS series II , is it possible to get the speedo read out i can get the small one but would like the normal one...lol

adamc11

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 VE SS V Z M6

It'd be giving you your instantaneous L/100km while you drive. Try driving at 3000rpm in 2nd, then try the same in 4th - It should give you a different reading. Haven't bothered myself, i just found the menu whilst trying to turn off that annoying rest reminder - if i was worried about fuel i'd have a yaris or a colt..
My friend showed me in his VU ute that if he went down a hill in gear it seems the injectors stop pumping as a reading of 0L/Min comes up - explains why the ute seems so hesitant to speed up rolling down hills.

OKAY i checked and it does NOT give the correct reading. It actually gives it in litres/hour not litres/100km.

Basically, in the WL Caprice (which has the 3 digital displays) when you are stationary the instantaneous fuel displayed on the additional display is in litres/hour. When you start moving it changes to litres/100km. On the contrary, the instantaneous fuel on the main display (though mode+set) always stays in litres/hour... because it is in litres/hour!

Now to explain... i held down mode+set when i started the car to get instantaneous fuel reading on the main display, and as expected, it was the same as the additional displays instantaneous fuel (as they were both Litres/hour and i was stationary). However when i started moving, i noticed the additional displays instantaneous fuel was higher than the instantaneous fuel on the main display.

So for example, if i were doing 50km/hour, the instant fuel on the main display is half that of the additional display. Because in 1 hour (litres/hour) i travel only 50kms... hence using half the fuel it says on the additional display which is in litres/100km.

Basically, the instant fuel displayed through mode+set is only true for cruising at 100km/h... otherwise it is necessary to do the calculation in your head.

So if you cruise at 25k/h, and it says your using 3 L/hour... you are actually using an instant fuel of 100/25 * 3 = 12 L/100km.