Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vy series 2 S 2004 suspension service?

Kurtly91

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden vy series 2 2004
Hi

I have vy commodore series 2 S 2004, the car has 250,000km I would like to service the suspension and replace parts if it doesn't cost too much money? It's just the car rides a bit stiff

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Photo of suspension? Probably all original so desperately need a new set of shocks to smooth out the bumps and make it safer to drive

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
Most of the bushes will be flogged out as well.

Replacing with rubber rather than urethane will give you a more compliant ride.

Kurtly91

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden vy series 2 2004
Photo of suspension? Probably all original so desperately need a new set of shocks to smooth out the bumps and make it safer to drive
OK I'll definitely take a photo in a few hours? How much would it cost to replace everything?

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
Don’t be afraid of putting in urethane bushes. I had all the front suspension bushes replaced, and was pleasantly surprised by the ride.
Nowhere near as harsh as I expected, and a lot better than the old OEM bushes.
Cost $550 parts, $400 labour, no bull.

Kurtly91

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden vy series 2 2004
I never got around to getting a photo taken

Can someone recommend a cheap bush kit for the front? I'm sure the suspension has never been done after 250,000

There's a few things I don't understand with suspension and that's when you would need to replace the spring as well as bushes? I hope it's just that I need to replace bushes because that's cheaper isn't it?

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
when you would need to replace the spring as well as bushes?

Not sure why you would replace the springs ? Or do you mean the strut, which is the shock absorber.
The spring is not part of the strut, the spring is placed over the shock, sits on the base plate near the top of the tyre, and retained by a plate, with a rubber mounting bush on top between it and the body. ( Not having a go at you, just a very simple non-technical explanation)

Kurtly91

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden vy series 2 2004
Yeah i meant the strut, I'm going to have to find a YouTube video of how it all works, just not sure on what I need to replace that's all

Whiteshark68

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina Series II
Just done this to the Berlina in december it cost me about $900 and that was just parts but i changed springs and lower control arms and rear shocks as well.
if i wanted a suspension place to do the work it was over 2 grand for exactly the same parts i used.
i went the full rubber route and the car handles and rides really good but not sure what shock/spring combination will give you a softer ride as i went pretty much direct oem replacement fe1 and the suspension is as stiff as when i got the car but everything that i replaced hadn't been replaced before and was original out of the factory fitment.

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
just not sure on what I need to replace that's all

most of these bits
9.jpg