Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VY Series 2 S Manual

dashdown98

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY S Commodore SII
Hey guys! I recently purchased my second car, a 2003 VY Series 2 S pack, Ecotec V6 and factory manual.
My first car was a '92 VP ute which can be seen here: http://forums.justcommodores.com.au/vn-vp-vg-vq/245512-my-1992-vp-s-ute.html

It was like finding a needle in a haystack to get a manual VY, I wanted a newer model and I love the shape. I finally found it sitting at a car yard, caught my eye as I was driving along the highway. The best things in life are sometimes unexpected -(that's a thing yeah?)

I love that it's an S pack - being pretty much an SS apart from a few small features and the obvious running gear - because I'd love an SS but can't quite afford one. Rather than spend all the money to effectively 'rice' an executive or similar it's nice to be done from factory.

It already had some Pedders springs installed in the rear when I got it which are at the perfect height, and FE2 in the front which I may endeavor to lower in the future. It also had some 19" B-BOSS chrome rims on it which I think look quite nice but I'd love to try on some black Simmons FR1's. The previous owner swapped the stock spoiler for a VZ SV6 one which I like a lot.

Apart from that it's pretty much completely stock... for a while

I've ordered $1000 worth of audio gear, only a standard system in it at the moment so I need some way to get my own music on it, and pretty decent quality. New exedy clutch kit has arrived too, the car shudders a bit when starting and low revs so hopefully it's just the pressure plate. I need to get some SS foglights put in asap because the holes in the bumper are driving me crazy! I'm not sure why Holden opted to put a bumper on with obvious mounts for fog lights and then blank them out.

I've already bought some second hand Hi-Tech headers so I'll give them a coat of paint, and then a nice catback exhaust. Thinking a Berklee PEX but not sure whether to get with or without the rear resonator. Any thoughts?

20160118_161632_zpsh3nwsdwn.jpg

20160118_161642_zpswojcf7bv.jpg

20160118_161659_zpsbnzcrke7.jpg

R

Risky

Be thankful you didn't buy a series I S as it came with the Exec bumper. Those who have them, swapped them for series II's. I do recommend that you get SS headlights as they make the difference. Foglights on the series II S were an option.

Looks pretty straight & a good buy from the sounds of it.

Vegemite

Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VZ Calais
Black simmons fr look mint on this colour. Ive seen a picture of a bagged vy s pac with black simmons and it looked fat as!

dashdown98

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY S Commodore SII
Be thankful you didn't buy a series I S as it came with the Exec bumper. Those who have them, swapped them for series II's. I do recommend that you get SS headlights as they make the difference. Foglights on the series II S were an option.

Looks pretty straight & a good buy from the sounds of it.

Yeah I'm pretty happy I managed to score an SII as well, a few small features that I like over the SI. And being a 2003 SII it still only has one cat so it makes finding an exhaust easier and cheaper :yahoo:

SS headlights and tail lights are also on the cards for sure but the Holden wreckers here is asking $120 a piece for headlights and $140 a pair of taillights. Nuh, I can get new ones cheaper through work lol. He wanted $70 or something for new genuine foggies too, I asked him how much for second hand and he said "Same" ....... :doh:

It is very straight, and considering that I picked it up for $4k I think it was a bloody good buy!

dashdown98

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY S Commodore SII
Black simmons fr look mint on this colour. Ive seen a picture of a bagged vy s pac with black simmons and it looked fat as!

I saw a VZ on some once, wasn't slammed at all and it still looked pretty good! If you could find that picture I would be forever grateful :whistling

R

Risky

Yeah I'm pretty happy I managed to score an SII as well, a few small features that I like over the SI. And being a 2003 SII it still only has one cat so it makes finding an exhaust easier and cheaper :yahoo:

SS headlights and tail lights are also on the cards for sure but the Holden wreckers here is asking $120 a piece for headlights and $140 a pair of taillights. Nuh, I can get new ones cheaper through work lol. He wanted $70 or something for new genuine foggies too, I asked him how much for second hand and he said "Same" ....... :doh:

It is very straight, and considering that I picked it up for $4k I think it was a bloody good buy!

You did pretty well for $4K for a Holden in great condition. I paid $3800 for mine but the paint was faded but at least it didn't have missing parts like some of the utes I saw when I was looking. Pity you didn't keep the ute as you did well with it. Most of the young guys here drive lowered rice burners that spend most of their time in the shop due to ruined undersides cos of our country roads. The panel beaters here love these young guys. One I saw the other day had a crappy plastic bonnet that was destroyed by a roo. If you lower it, don't do it too much but enough to go over your roads.

If you do it right, it'll be like what you did to your ute. Keep us posted :)

dashdown98

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY S Commodore SII
You did pretty well for $4K for a Holden in great condition. I paid $3800 for mine but the paint was faded but at least it didn't have missing parts like some of the utes I saw when I was looking. Pity you didn't keep the ute as you did well with it. Most of the young guys here drive lowered rice burners that spend most of their time in the shop due to ruined undersides cos of our country roads. The panel beaters here love these young guys. One I saw the other day had a crappy plastic bonnet that was destroyed by a roo. If you lower it, don't do it too much but enough to go over your roads.

If you do it right, it'll be like what you did to your ute. Keep us posted :)

Thanks mate! My ute sold for $2500 which wasn't too bad for a 24 year old V6 I suppose. I loved that ute but I needed something with a bit more room for people since I'm still a full time student. Next step is to get my P's, I went for the test about a fortnight ago and failed on the spot because my reverse lights didn't work :bang: turned out to be a faulty reverse light switch. That's fixed now and I go again on the 15th of next month. Another $85 booking fee and a 28 day waiting period when you "fail"... I live in Tassie and most of our roads are fairly decent but I refuse to drive on gravelly or potholed roads, or country roads at night or early morning because we get a few wallabies and other wildlife. The back is perfect height but FE2 in the front sits up a little higher than I'd like. I'll try and attach a side on pic for you.

Thanks mate! I'll do my best, it's just a case of money now and since I'm still paying the car off I can't afford to go hectic just yet. :thumbsup:

Here's the side pics:
20160105_134315_zpsow7dxj2x.jpg

I also tried on the black and chrome wheels from my ute
20160105_132303_zpsqospmati.jpg

Now that I think of it I don't think I ever put a pic up of these wheels on my ute, here's a before and after of lowering, bumper, respray and wheels
Before%20and%20after_zpsig4pzcle.jpg

R

Risky

Gee they're tough on you guys in Tassie for getting a licence. Mind you when I went for mine it was 20 questions & you were allowed 2 wrong. I only went for one driving lesson cos I'd been driving for a few years without a licence anyway lol. My driving instructor decided at my one & only lesson should be done in the Sydney CBD which really wasn't scary as most people think. When I did the practical I passed 1st go easily.

I like the stance of your old VP ute. It's a shame you had to part with it. Where I live now, utes are more prized than houses. Had you sold it here, you would have tripled your money easily. I've been offered silly money for mine and that's only cos they know the amount of work that went in it. Once local production goes, ute prices will go up. It happened when they stopped making the WB until the VG arrived. If you're after parts and spares, hit your local Holden dealer spares section. You'll still be able to get about 90% of parts but they are dwindling. That was the reason why I restored mine so I can keep her on the road. Door cards & seats you can't get but a decent wrecker will have them. It took me 8 months to find a decent set of seats & I wasn't willing to part with a couple of thousand dollars for a set half-way across the country. Parts for Holden are cheaper than imports. I have a Suzuki 4x4 & parts prices are absolutely stupid.

I agree from your photos about the front end. It looks odd. Make sure you hunt around for a good set-up. Mine didn't come with the FE2 suspension as a S models did & after checking with Holden, it came with chasers as standard. It must be the only S model that never had FE2. I'm keeping it standard cos of our crap roads here but I will invest in a decent set of rims in due course. That'll be after I get a Berlina/Calais cluster lol.

I had an ex-gf from years ago who used to complain about me working on mine & my mates cars. My reply to her was "It's better than sitting at a pub staring & talking to other girls making you worried & jealous. At least you know I'm home."