Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VY series 2 s pac or VX series 2 s pac

Aussie_Pr0d1gy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS executive
Hey guys and girls, I'm new here, so I'm not sure if I'm posting this in the right section, but I'm looking to buy either a VY series 2 s pac or a VX series 2 s pac (both manual) and I just want to know what is everyone's thoughts on these cars. I've been seeing a lot of negative points made of each car and now I'm more confused than ever. I need help :( they are both in great knick and both have 125xxx kms, and are for sale for around the same price 8k. I was leaning towards the VY but after reading some comments on here about how they are sluggish and have idle problems I'm not so sure anymore. Please help lol

The VX 2001 Holden Commodore VX II S

The VY 2003 Holden Commodore VY II S

wortus

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Series 2 25th Anniversary in Phantom Mica
The motors are more or less the same. The VY has improvements over the VX in it's road handling and aerodynamics. Personally I would go the VY but if they are both in good nick and around the same price and your not worried about the VY's numerous improvements over the VX then it's just a matter of choosing which one you like the look of better.

Aussie_Pr0d1gy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS executive
The motors are more or less the same. The VY has improvements over the VX in it's road handling and aerodynamics. Personally I would go the VY but if they are both in good nick and around the same price and your not worried about the VY's numerous improvements over the VX then it's just a matter of choosing which one you like the look of better.

Do you think 8k is a reasonable price for the VY with 125xxx Kms? It's only had the 1 owner as well and it's a lady so it definitley hasn't been thrashed lol

wortus

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Series 2 25th Anniversary in Phantom Mica
Do you think 8k is a reasonable price for the VY with 125xxx Kms? It's only had the 1 owner as well and it's a lady so it definitley hasn't been thrashed lol

Have you been to see it yet? If the paint is in good nick, little or no parking dents etc. and the exterior plastic trims are not damaged from the sun then I think it's an OK price. It looks to have some wear on the radio buttons and a few marks on the seats but just judge by the over all condition and what you can easily fix/clean.
The low k's is a plus, if it's been looked after and you continue to do so then it should easily go to 200,000 without much trouble. Mine has 163,000km and I have had it for 4 1/2 years and done 35,000km without any problems at all. Mine just has standard suspension and I reckon it has better road real and handling than my cousins VX Series 1 which has FE2.
All I could fault with mine was a mild amount of shudder in the steering at parking speeds and the rear door leaked water into the car.

thatbrynguy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY Commodore SS 5.7L M6
Fundamentally they're more or less the same car. I personally would go for the VY because as others have said, its an improvement on the VX. Overall I find the interior of the VY nicer than the VX as well. But again, they're so similar, just check them both out and see which one you like more and which has been better cared for.

thatbrynguy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY Commodore SS 5.7L M6
Furthermore to the negative things you've read about both of these vehicles, just remember this is the internet and most people will jump on and critique something before saying anything positive about it. I've had a VY for 4 years and I've been happy with it. In that time I had a failed alternator and steering pump, but these are the same parts you'd find on the VX as well so you run risks with either of them. Personally I don't consider either of these failures to have been a big problem.

Mohi

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy commodore executive S2
Would definitely go for vy ,, had one for 2 years done around 62000ks and also looks like vx is being sold by a dealer and its priced way too much, I had driven few vx's before but i think they lack on interior finish as compared to vy .

franklinfrog

Reaction score
Website
www.cheapbrisbanebikes.com
Members Ride
VY SS Wagon 5.7 Auto Wikid Postie Bike
Both VX and VY are good cars. Go VY if you can. You could possibly save $2000-3000 if you get an auto though....... there's so many autos for sale!
They made red autos and they also put bodykits on some of them......

Don't forget to bargain hard!! And make them think manual is not important, they might drop the price more.

Aussie_Pr0d1gy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS executive
I haven't actually gone and looked at either of them, mainly cause i live up the coast and they are both located in sydney, but I did have an inspector go look at the VY today and he said its a nice car with expected wear and tear for its age, it needs a few things done to it like new rears tyres, a new drivers side mirror casing, probably some new gaskets (bit of oil in the engine bay) and just overall wear, plus the paint on the boot is fading, nothing a buff won't fix he said, and 1 or 2 dints and scratches. So he said if I could get it for 7k it would be a good deal. I actually just spoke to the owner and agreed on $7,200 so I'm flying down on Friday to pick her up! Pretty excited I might at :D this will be a good change for the cars I've previously owned 2x VL, VR and my current VS all auto as well, so this will be my first manual, So I will have to learn how to pick it up pretty quick (never driven a manual before) lol :p

Straya!

Reaction score
Members Ride
1987 VL Brock Director
You"ll enjoy it mate, had my VY S for 3 1/2 years and haven't had to spend any money on it more than standard servicing things, have notched up 200,000k's recently and it still drives like it's new....good luck with it mate!