Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VY Series 2 V6 Rattle at mid-high rpm

VYCamo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Executive Series II
Gday all,
Just driving around today around on the freeway, ect and i thought i'd put the boot in at a set of lights, only to hear this unearthly rattle/vibration coming from the mid/mid right section under the hood. Since then i have noticed the sound whenever the car pulls past about 3000rpm. Never heard this sound, and i can assure you its not the first time i've givin it stick at a set of lights.
Help would be appreciated, got a cruise down to Mandurah for Australia Day, and would hate for my engine to fall out lol.
Thanks in Advance :beer chug:
Cam

P.S Could it be my cats have finally died (they do rattle a bit on idle), and i probably should replace them :bomb:

VYCamo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Executive Series II
Yeah they do, although its intermittent at times, Since series 2 VY's are dual cats though ill have to replace both, mite get outside in a bit and belt them with a mallet, see if it changes the vibration at all

VYCamo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Executive Series II
Yeah will unbolt it first thing in the mornin *cough* going to gut them *cough* lol, should do for a temporary fix until i get around to buying some next week. Thanks for your help mate. :beer chug:

chargedvx6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SII HBD Calais L67
Yeah will unbolt it first thing in the mornin *cough* going to gut them *cough* lol, should do for a temporary fix until i get around to buying some next week. Thanks for your help mate. :beer chug:

Gutting cats is a backwards move. It will reduce performance. Do it properly and get a wrecker replacement cat if ya can't afford a newbie ffs

nick_

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY II V6
I know first hand how annoying it is, but he is right. It is a backwards move and he'll be underneath the car again shortly after he's gutted them..

-Nick.

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
If you think the rattle is annoying, wait till you get the fine for gutting the cats. Fines worth more than your whole car is.