Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VY signal amplifier box

MonaroOwner

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 Series III Monaro
I have a Series III Monaro (VY) with the OEM sound system including the antenna in the rear window. I haven't been able to receive the AM band for several years, which in Brisbane means no sport! I had the head unit looked at & it is fine. They suggested the problem is with the signal amplifier box. Does anyone know how I would find out where this is? I am assuming it's in the boot, but where exactly?

Doc59

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Monaro
The only amplifier box seems to be for FM according to the manual, here's a cut and paste from the VZ coupe section, sounds the same as your setup so your AM section on the rear window might be damaged:

FM Antennas
There are two FM antenna systems mounted on the rear glass assembly:
• A combined FM Main antenna and demister element, refer to item 4 in Figure 12D – 9.
• An FM Diversity antenna, refer to item 3 in Figure 12D – 9.
The thin conductors that form each antenna are fixed on the inside of the glass, and the antenna / demister electrical
connectors are located on the side of the rear window. The FM Main antenna / demister is connected to body ground
which also includes an RF isolation coil.
The Antenna Amplifier module amplifies the FM Diversity antenna signals to help reduce noisy radio reception that may
be generated within the vehicle. This module is mounted in the C-pillar as shown at item 9 in Figure 12D – 10. For further
information on the diversity antenna amplifier module,
refer to 1.4 Diversity Antenna Operation, Type 4 Entertainment Systems.
AM Antenna
A single AM antenna system is mounted on the rear glass assembly, refer to item 2 in Figure 12D – 9.

Sorry can't copy and paste the figure.

MonaroOwner

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 Series III Monaro
Thanks muchly. That gives me somewhere to start.