Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VY SII cat converters moved forward?

garfa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
Hi All,

Called hillside exhausts (experiences anyone?) and they said that extractors on a VY series 2 are a bit more costly dur to the cats being moved forward as compared to the VY series 2. As the cats are forward more i would need new cats and wiring loom extensions to accomodate a headers as the short headers do not do much.

Also he quotes around $600 for a twin 2.5 inch mild steel cat back system with the center removed and replaced with hot dogs for a more raspy note.

I would appreciate your thoughts.

orthaeeoul

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Exucutive S2 3.8 2004
Hi, iv got a S2 with pacemaker headers, i put them on myself, the sensors are in the same place (the wiring reachs). but the cats had to be moved. the headers are alot longer then the standard ones, and the cats ended up close to my feet. i re-used the standard ones, but they stuck out a little bit, and i used to bash em on stuff (and my car is stock height!) in the end i got some magneflow high-flo cats, and there much thinner and smaller. much better option.
hope that helps.

VTPREDATOR

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS SPORTSWAGON
the ss is different to an executive. i had to get the extensions for mine as well.

danja

Swerves for gay koalas
Reaction score
Members Ride
CBF 250 and a Levin ZR
The stock cats are triangular shaped things that live next to the bellhousing, at about a 45 degree angle against the firewall. Most aftermarket cats will be flat units and they will be further back (aka cat-back) alongside the gearbox.

The O2 sensors do get moved, and for a VY or MY05 VZ you will need 2 sensor loom extensions (about $60 from memory). Consider yourself lucky you don't have MY06 VZ, they have 4 sensors :p