Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VY SS and VZ SS differences

hothouse vy s

supercharged hothouse VYS
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Commodore S
I am looking at purchasing either a VY SS or VZ SS commodore.. can anyone specify the main differences between these models as well as the price differences..is it worth purchasing a VZ SS over a VY SS? also would the manual version be much better on fuel than the automatic?
any help is much appreciated
cheers

holden007

VRII
Reaction score
Members Ride
Subaru Liberty
The VZ SS Series II comes with the 6ltr LS2 engine (GenIV).

Exterior, the difference from VY to VZ is bonnet, front bar, headlights, taillights, wheels....

Interior not sure, all I know is that the trip computer in the VZ shows your speed digitally, and VZ SS comes with climate control.

MickVYSS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY II SS
No massive change from VY to VZ, just cosmetics and the move to the 6ltr on the VZ II. I have just bought a VY II SS, because it's a little cheaper, more money to spend on mods!

davey g-force

I'm a sceptic...
Reaction score
Members Ride
02 RX7 S8 Spirit R 13B TT & 2013 Audi A3 1.8T DSG7
holden007 said:
The VZ SS Series II comes with the 6ltr LS2 engine (GenIV).

Exterior, the difference from VY to VZ is bonnet, front bar, headlights, taillights, wheels....

Interior not sure, all I know is that the trip computer in the VZ shows your speed digitally, and VZ SS comes with climate control.

Exactly what he said.

Also, the VZ has a slightly different rear spoiler and those sexy flutes in the front guards. Personally, I don't like the look of the front of the VZ's as much as the VY's.

Not too much difference all up - if you can get a VY SS for a good deal cheaper than a VZ SS, then I'd go with that...

Aggro_VE

The Overseer
Reaction score
Members Ride
A lazy VE
Personally I'd get the VZ, the new 6.0L is a vast improvement over the LS1...also the 6.0L is the L76 the SS did NOT get the LS2 corvette version (297kW) that would piss off some HSV owners. :)

enhancedss

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE R8 LS3, VYSS Ute 10.0@146MPH & VYSSTT 525rwkw
personally for the price id go a vy ss, and then spend the spare cash on performance mods. u dont know where u will stop......once the power bug hits u, ur stuck for life.

Puggle

Reaction score
Members Ride
VYII SS Man Sedan Cosmo
And you know that the VYII looks better than the VZ. Also only half the VZs have the 6.0L (Series II) which is very close to the current model VE anyway, defeating the purpose of buying a few steps behind the market to save dosh.

The VYII can display digital speedo as well, don't listen to whoever said otherwise earlier. Mine does. Heaps of VYs have leather+climate control too. Only driveability difference is the drive-by-wire throttle introduced in the VZ.

Listen, my VYII Dec 03 SS may be old when lined up to a VZ, but it sure doesn't look it, it looks sleaker, and it definitely drives bloody good. Go VY and modify. Have you seen the prices of VYII with leather on carsales??!! We're talking mid 20s-you won't regret it! :thumbsup:

hothouse vy s

supercharged hothouse VYS
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Commodore S
cheers for the help

MickVYSS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY II SS
How do you get the digital speed to come up?
Thanks