Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vy ss BF coolant leak

ARATIC

Reaction score
Members Ride
Hot House VY SS
I think mine is seeping in the same place, but its intermitant sometimes it does and sometimes it doesnt. Wondered if its just the gasket also, but you'd be annoyed if you went to all that trouble replaced the gasket and it still leaked.

Drive belt is very easy, the tensioner is spring mounted and once the slack is loosened the belt will fall off. 2 min job.

If you buy a WP off ebay, then it wont come with the thermostat and housing. I have heard not to bother with non genuine pumps though as they never last. Geniune they are pricey though, around $500 inc thermo and housing!

Also cant this job be done without removing the radiator? There seems to be loads of space to pull the pump out

rydogz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY II SS
ah k same as my old falcon didnt notice a tensioner, is it a 3/8 or 1/2 drive ratchet style one(its dark and the car is covered lol)?

I agree with it would be annoying, Last time i bought a part off ebay it was ####ed and I had to do it again, might get one from repco. Will at the least have a look at the thermostat anyway.

It is odd though it literally drains the block in 5 mins from that gasket and not the weep hole...

Going to have a go on the wkend I post some pics hopefully no ranting haha.

Cheers.

ARATIC

Reaction score
Members Ride
Hot House VY SS
The tensioner takes a 15mm ring spanner, push to the passenger side to remove the slack.

So you've already done the waterpump? If you dont want to do it again, get a genuine pump. The Repco or Bursons pumps will be (are) no better than the ebay ones.

Genuine GM pumps can be bought off ebay usa for $175 + shipping

rydogz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY II SS
No I was referring to my old car with the ebay comment. Where can I get a non **** one then lol

ARATIC

Reaction score
Members Ride
Hot House VY SS
Holden or ebay usa. I'm trying to find out whether the pumps from ebay usa have the same part no as the genuine Holden ones sold here. I think they are as they are for a Pontiac GTO, which is just a rebadged Commodore.

rydogz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY II SS
Fair enough, I can't decide whether to replace the pump or not as it isn't physically leaking and more money means more to me than less money. I hate cooling systems, they plague every car I have owned.

rydogz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY II SS
A few photos of the leak:

The leaking passenger side gasket:

passengersidegasketview.jpg

The full view:

fullview.jpg

The drivers side gasket:

driverssidegasket.jpg

Passenger side gasket close up:

passengersidegasket.jpg

The impeller seal:

impellerseal.jpg

Changing the pump today, took the old one out yesterday afternoon but ran out of day light. Will post some more pics soon. Bought the pump and **** and forgot the RTV:ranting:

ARATIC

Reaction score
Members Ride
Hot House VY SS
Probably a good idea just to change the waterpump. Even though it looks clean and the gasket is at fault, the waterpump might have become warped where it bolts onto the block

rydogz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY II SS
2 Final questions: Does anyone use those radiator pellets and what are the pump to block bolts torque specifications?

Gregorys says step one 15nm and step 2 25nm....wtf does that mean is it 15 or 25?