Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VY SS Clicking Noise

vy2002

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
UPDATE: Solved - rear right CV shaft replaced, hasnt returned again

Hey guys

Please have a listen to this recording
VY SS Commodore clicking noise - YouTube
(fast forward 30 seconds into the video)

I have a horrible clunking noise. This noise is very intermittent, and can come and go at any time. Has been around for 2 years.

Usually pops up when driving in a straight line, and usually is after 30 mins of driving. (When noise is present, it will continue when turning as well). Is not a noise which occurs only when turning.

Appears to change with different acceleration (faster and slower). Speed dependent noise. Would indicate driveline right?

Also I can be driving at 50km/h with this noise occurring, whack it straight into Neutral, and the noise appears to stop. Or at least become very minimal in comparison to when its in a gear.

Then as quickly as it appears, it disappears.

When I am able to get the noise to occur, Ive tried jacking up the rear of the car, put it on stands, block the front wheels so it doesnt roll, and i drive the car with it in mid - air ... no noise. Cant replicate once jacked up.

Ive had the car at various mechanics when the issue has surfaced. Of course they have all been unable to replicate the issue, due to its intermittent nature - as such, the car could only be checked 'as is' without the noise occurring, and nothing has ever been resolved.

Exhaust, engine mounts etc. were checked. Shocks, bushes etc. were checked. The donut coupling thing on the tailshaft was checked and to be in good condition. No loose heatshields could be found, and none obstructing the exhaust.

Even trimmed an exhaust hanger which was close to the tail shaft - made no difference.

Had a diff place drain/refill the LSD - they used proper fluid and additive etc. - made no change. They said my noise shouldnt be diff related in their opinion.

The centre bearing on the tailshaft was simply looked over and apparently didnt have an overly amount of play according to the last mechanic. Rubber isnt split on centre bearing either.

Noise travels and is deceiving. Appears to be coming anywhere from mid-to-rear of the car.

The noise is NOTHING like the handbrake scrape issue which is common in commodores. That scrape goes away with lifting a hand brake and is light in volume. This sounds like someone is bashing steel on steel.

Im a bit over it and feel like just trading the car at a dealer and losing out.

Being that it is a rotational speed dependent noise, I honestly feel that things like suspension and bushes won't be related. I dont think its anything disc / brake related, as this is a loud bashing steel on steel type noise.

In your opinions, what do you think the noise is?

I was suspecting like the tailshaft, whether it be bearing or some type of uni joint or something? but apparently no real play in it?!

Last edited:

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
Could be a wheel bearing. Theres nothing around the CV shafts, inside the wheels, or behind the knuckle?

Nut Kracker

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 304ci (195i)
I had a very annoying clicking sound for a while.
Similar to what you have.
Turned out to be a big stone caught in the tread of the right rear tyre.

Last edited:

SSV-050

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS 6 Speed
dude ive got the same noise atm, constantly the faster i go the louder it is, sounds like it coming from the gearbox under mine

Nut Kracker

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 304ci (195i)
Have a gander at the universal joint/tail shaft
Might be something wrapped around it.

DECIMATOR

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6
Sounds like your diff has broken a few teeth off

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

vy2002

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
just an update. noise went away and hasnt come back in 2 months
feel free to close the thread

vy2002

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
Handbrake shoes. Roll back with the handbrake up and the noise disappears...

definitely not this. i know because i had that issue separately, and its complete different sound. The handbrake shoe scraping goes away when pulling up hand brake anyway

Last edited:

vy2002

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
Issue has returned - Updated first post

Help. Im losing my mind with it.

Last edited: