Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VY SS coolant/radiator flush

ayecee

Reaction score
Members Ride
'03 VY SS Ute 5.8Ltr V8
Have a '03 VY SS 5.7ltr (series 1) and just changed my cooling pump and thermostat, I have had green coolant in since I bought the car and was recommended to switch to the red so I bought some, I flushed out everything as best I could with tap water and then ran some cooling system flush through it and flushed it out with water again, but I am unsure as to how to make sure there is no left over water (or old coolant/flush) lurking in the system before I put the fresh coolant in, or doesn't it matter? I got premix instead of concentrate (too late to exchange it now), wouldn't any water left inside the system dilute the coolant further? I also read that when changing to red from green or vice-versa that one must make sure to completely clean the system out of the old stuff or risk severely lowering the anti-corrosion properties of the fresh coolant... or am i just over thinking it?

Also, the overflow tank is very dirty, there is some scale or something built up and flakes of it where coming out of the hose when flushing, would it be a good idea to remove and clean it properly? what would be good to use?

Thanks for any help given.

Bowen

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VX S manual 3.8L SP
Did you have the heater tap open when flushing?? If you mix 2 different coolants it makes like a sludge and you loose cooling and anti corrosion properties...

Would be a good idea to take the whole overflow out of the car and clean it good then put it back in

Then do a flush ensuring that the heater tap is open and you are above 91 degrees if there is no colour in the water your pretty safe :)

ayecee

Reaction score
Members Ride
'03 VY SS Ute 5.8Ltr V8
so do you leave the car running? how do i know when the heater tap is open?
how do i empty the remaining water in the system before adding coolant?

ayecee

Reaction score
Members Ride
'03 VY SS Ute 5.8Ltr V8
nevermind..done now..thanks anyway..

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
The VY 5.7 litre engine should have the following type coolant- DEX-COOL(GM spec 6277M) or equivalent. The V6 engines from VT to VY should use a coolant with the following spec HN-2043 or equivalent. The VZV6 uses the same spec coolant as the V8 gen111/V1's.
Its always best to use a concentrated coolant such as nulon long life coolant. Mix it with distilled/demineralised water at a ratio of 50/50. You can go slightly over the 50/50 ratio. I use the nulon long life, I always mix my coolant at 60 parts coolant to 40 parts water (60/40), which gives better corrosion protection and also gives slightly better heat protection in the summertime. I also found it also keeps the cooling system perfectly clean running it at the higher ratio..

Last edited:

ayecee

Reaction score
Members Ride
'03 VY SS Ute 5.8Ltr V8
yea i bought the nulon long life but the premix which is 50/50, but since i bought the car there was green coolant in there.

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
If you have a look at the label it should list the specs of the coolant etc. The nulon long life concentrate has a big list of different manufacturers and specs that's its suitable for use in. I just happen to have a list here for nulon long life concentrated coolant . I noticed that the coolant for the Gen111/V1 is not listed here, so this type is not suitable for those engines, including the V6 VZ..
BMW (UK)
Caterpillar 1EO535
Cummins 92 T8-9
Detroit diesel Allison 7SE 298
Ford ESE-M97B44-A
Ford ESE-FM97B18-C
Ford WSS-M97B51-A1
GME L1301
GM 1825M
GM 1899M
GM 6043
GMH HN2043
Holden HN2217
Mazda MES MN 1210
Mercedes benz DBL 7700
MWN diesel D234 2/15
Nissan NES 5509 LLC
Saab FSD 8704
Toyota TSK 2601G
Volvo (UK)
VW / Audi / Skoda TL 774B/C (G11)

Exceeds following international standards-
ATSM D3306
ATSM D4985
ATSM D5345
AS 2108.1:2004 TYPE A
BS6580:1992
SAE J1034
JIS K 2234

ayecee

Reaction score
Members Ride
'03 VY SS Ute 5.8Ltr V8
you sure? 6277M is on the back of mine

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
you sure? 6277M is on the back of mine

Im 100% sure, I just went and had a look at the actual coolant bottle (nulon long life concentrate) and its definitely not on there, its exactly the same as the list above.. No mention of 6277M on it anywhere.. You said you used pre mixed nulon coolant, maybe nulon concentrate is different from their pre mixed stuff.

ayecee

Reaction score
Members Ride
'03 VY SS Ute 5.8Ltr V8
maybe, because it's definitely on mine lol..the list i have is somewhat different to the list you posted..i find it hard to believe they would be different, should be the same coolant mine is just premixed with demineralised water