Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VY SS fuel gauge reads backwards

Footsy

Reaction score
Members Ride
04 VY II SS Ute
Hi people

I've just bought a VY SS ute and the fuel gauge reads backwards, is this a cluster problem or is it related to the fuel pump and/or sender unit.

Cheers

axemurderer101

Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VY SS
i think i remembers someone saying if the wrong cluster is fitted it could cause problems like that, maybe the person you bought it off swapped the clusters to one with lower K's

chevy quad

Reaction score
Members Ride
WB one tonner
Some times just an earth problem can do it, eg some one has just fitted gas to the car, the gas gauge can interfere. The cluster pack might need to have the plug connection cleaned. One thing is for sure i would do , is try the sender, some times people putting a garden hose down the neck of the tank to get fuel will damage it or it . So try the sender or get an auto elect to suace it for you as it does not take much if you are just poking around to blow instruments and guauges up. They are simple machines of that era and wont cost much to find the problem from a professional, providing you dont have a bad problem.

Footsy

Reaction score
Members Ride
04 VY II SS Ute
Cheers guys, i got the day off tomorrow and ill go past holden and see if they can fix it

Footsy

Reaction score
Members Ride
04 VY II SS Ute
Finally took the the car to holden and took them 5 minutes to calibrate the fuel gauge using T2

SUS346

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy 5.7l ss 2003
How much did they charge you mate?