Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VY SS Gearbox squeeking under load and when warm!

goonymatata

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS SII UTE
hey all

my vy series 2 ss ute has a very annoying squeeking/gargling noise coming from the gearbox, if i had to guess i would say it was coming from a bearing within the rear of the box?

only happens when its warm and more when under load.

if i stop and rev the car around 2500rpm you can hear it, after like 20 seconds or so it stops as the box has cooled down?

it started after a gearbox oil change, they put dextron in it which i have been told by holden its the correct oil. (could just be cooincedence)

i dont know if its relevent but my fuel effeciency has gone down the dunny as well, i strugle to get under 20 - 23ltr avg per 100km,

about 5000 km ago i was getting 550km from 80ltr of gas injection, now i only get 350 - 400 and the gas guy cant work out why.

thanks guys

goonymatata

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS SII UTE
it no longer has to even be in gear or moving, just warm!

ideas anyone?

Berlinarator

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS-Z
I assume it's an auto, so yes Dextron III is the correct oil. How is the oil level? It's unusual that it does when in gear & park as well. Does it drive any different, ie shift points, power etc. It may not even be the gearbox. Who changed the oil anyway?

goonymatata

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS SII UTE
hello,,

na its a manual,

it started off just making the noise once the car was hot and only when in gear and rolling, it now does it pretty much all the time, it gets louded when the car is in gear in low rpm, like doing 65 in 6th it does it pretty loud,

its getting worse and worse,, at the start it sounded like a pulley in the front but its 10000% coming from around the gearbox.

rydogz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY II SS
so you've got AT fluid in a manual gearbox?

goonymatata

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS SII UTE
hey, na i had dextron in it and the mechanic i took it to drained it and put some penrite oil in it from the penrite book.

the noise is getting worse,

it did start after i had the oil changed to dextron, holden said that is the correct oil for the manual box. the manual with the car doesnt actually say anything for manual.

KBone

Shaunoff
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
Just to be clear, both AT's and 6spd MT's take Dextron III. Berlinarator is on the right track with oil level. It needs to be pretty spot on. Too much or not enough will cause problems.
If you remove the filler plug from the g/box, trans oil should just trickle out.

goonymatata

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS SII UTE
the levels were fine, only thing is my clutch oil always doesnt last at all, i have had it changed 3 times in the last 10,000km as my mate ownes a mechanic and the oil evertime i go fails on his electronic tester...

goonymatata

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS SII UTE
hey guys,, the sqeeuling is getting worse, happens when the car is moving and when stationary, if you rev the motor it also makes the noise, if the car is off and rolling down a hill it makes it as well, in all gears and in neutral, clutch in or out makes no difference

does anyone have a illustration of the gearbox that is in the ss vy's s2, maybe i can narrow it down by seeing what spins when!

clutch pressed down would prevent the motor from spinning at the rate the car is moving (even when the car is off and rolling it still makes the noise)
but reving the motor while the clutch is pressed down also makes the noise, so i cant work out what side of the clutch the nosie is coming from? (the gearbox-back or the flywheel-forward)

the mechanice i took it to isnt sure, just said drive it till something blows and we will fix it then! (spent a good 30min driving and playing with his sound detector equipment)