Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VY SS Gen III Engine Whine?

VYSS346

Reaction score
Website
vhheaven.bravehost.com
Members Ride
VYSS 5.7 M6
When driving my SS.. esp when speeding up and changing down ya can hear a noticeable whine .. like coming from im guessing engine belt or gearbox.. and damn i'd swear its close to what a supercharger whine is.. now ive had it checked and nothings wrong at all with it.. and dont get me wrong I love the whine! has a few people looking as i drive past lol.. is this normal with some of the SS's? or is it not good?.. On a side note.. i know my friends dad's best kept 5 speed vn V6 has similar whine to it aswell though no where near as noticeable.. almost like having some kinda gilmer belt lol

VYSS346

Reaction score
Website
vhheaven.bravehost.com
Members Ride
VYSS 5.7 M6
vaertigo said:
http://forums.justcommodores.com.au/showthread.php?t=21810

I've had the exact same thing.... and I hate it.

Does your whine go away after it warms up?

Nope.. it always does it when speeding up and is loudest when changing gears up.. its a cool noise.. almost like a gilmer belt setup.. i think its just the belts on the gen IIIs or the gearbox.. just the way they sound! ive been told by few people now.. though for some im guessing they dont like it .. thats if the noise is the same as what im talking bout lol

VYSHSV8

**** happens
Reaction score
Website
www.ls1-australia.com
Members Ride
VYII SV8 M6
Don't worry mate mine has made the same noise since new yes it sounds like a baby gilmer set-up and mate you know what mine goes like don't you, hope you had a great chrissy and we can catch up shortly for a beer or 2 maybe tomoz depending what you are doing Ben will be over here as well...

VYSS346

Reaction score
Website
vhheaven.bravehost.com
Members Ride
VYSS 5.7 M6
VYSHSV8 said:
Don't worry mate mine has made the same noise since new yes it sounds like a baby gilmer set-up and mate you know what mine goes like don't you, hope you had a great chrissy and we can catch up shortly for a beer or 2 maybe tomoz depending what you are doing Ben will be over here as well...
thatd be great.. will have to let the boss know though :D.. would prob be around just after lunch maybe 1pm? though id need you to pm or email me your address :D.. yeah yours goes hard :D im so wanting to do some mods to mine and get her some lowered springs!

VTSSDUDE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 5.7L Commodore.
I have a mate who owns a VT SS 5.7L and he had this whine sound. You would reckon he had a super charger underneath his bonnet. Turned out to be one of the jock pulleys or belt tensioner pulleys.

Marks-VY

I love cars
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT2 Berlina
My guess would be either the belt tensioner pulley or power steering pump.

OLS108

MR Helpful
Reaction score
Members Ride
Stockish VX Berlina
have u checked to make sure u dont have a harrop positive displacement SC ??? :thumbsup:

VYSHSV8

**** happens
Reaction score
Website
www.ls1-australia.com
Members Ride
VYII SV8 M6
OLS108 said:
have u checked to make sure u dont have a harrop positive displacement SC ??? :thumbsup:
He wishes and so do I :D :D :D :D although it is alot noisier than my wine, it will be investigated will get him over again shortly and check belt and pulleys..

Didn't have enough time the other day was busy doing a radio install on a very tidy VL Berlina 88 Wagoon with 110000k on the clock...