Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[LS1] VY SS idling problem when stationary

Murry_LS1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS UTE
Hey guys, I had a new custom exhaust installed today on my VY SS, high flow cats, & extractors done too. The car now has an idle problem when the car is stopped in 'DRIVE". The idle drops down a bit suddenly, then goes back up, but it keeps doing this whilst stationary like it's trying not to stall.

The exhaust shop says i might've needed to get some extensions for my O2 sensors? is that what could be causing the issue for some reason?

Any idea on how to fix this? Has anyone had this problem after putting extractors/high flow cats in?

(I would like to get a tune later on when i get OTR mod done, but i really don't want to have to do that now)

Cheers!

Murry_LS1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS UTE
They are connected to the high flow cats yep, but i've read everywhere they need to connect to the extractors instead?
I think the problem could even be spark plugs now...

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
if the 02 sensors are now further away from the factory position that can cause surging due to the time it takes for the correction in fueling it just ends up chasing itself, if there arnt any in the join point of the extractors where there should be a spot for the 02's id put them in there and see if it fixes it, if they are only in the rear sensor spots thats too far away, does it idle fine when cold and once warmed up starts to surge..?

Murry_LS1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS UTE
Yeah there are spots on the extractors for the o2 sensors. It appears to be doing it as soon as the car warms up really

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
if its only when the car warms up then id say its the 02 sensors are too far back and need to go in the front spots on the extractors, because when the engine is first started its in open loop the 02's arnt being used so it wont surge then after about 50 deg they start to use them for fuel corrections which also would start your issue

Murry_LS1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS UTE
Thanks guys, i'm getting the extensions connected for the o2 sensors. Car sounds like it's not running on 8 cylinders and drives like crap, i have a feeling it may be the spark plugs??

I've left the car at the mechanic, hopefully it's not too bad

st3r3otyp3

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX HSV VX SS
Seems to me you just need to undo the bolt (bung) that is in the extractor hole and put the 02`s in there, and put the bolt into the hole in the cats.

Also, new extractors have a coating inside that burns away in the first few runs, this ####s the 02 sensors, you will need new sensors, get Genuine, Bosch, or NTK (ngk) sensors.

The leads need to be removed to install the pipes maybe one is not reseated properly.

Munz

Right Foot Action
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Calais LS1 / VL RB30e daily
Lol you guys are funny, how does he need extensions when the cats a further than the extractors...... as long as they are PRE - CAT there's nothing to worry about

Sounds like spark plugs,leads possibly a coil, as stereotype said the 02's could need replacing

Murry_LS1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS UTE
Thank you!! Yes it ended up being the o2 sensors causing all these problems, they were connected directly to the high flow cats & were not reading properly. I got the extensions installed today to connect the sensors to the extractors, and now she drives perfectly :)
Funny how such a simple thing could cause the car to run really **** eh!