Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VY SS new CAI, reset ecu/pcm???

Daniel Mobbs

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS Ute
Hi guys,

I am about to install a new cold air induction kit and I would just wondering, would it be benificial to reset the ecu and pcm????
If so how do I do it????

Thanks fellers.

brodster

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn hsv wagon
put it on and dont do anything as it is just a a bigger openning for air,the throttle body will only take so much.Cold air intakes work best on at night when the air is just right.If its 40 deg at day it takes in that air and it aint cooling it .If you ever have to reset a computer just disconect battery for 10 then drive car to reset.iI have a ss induction cold air intake of gen 111 for sale at $120,0428442220

Daniel Mobbs

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS Ute
Yeah to easy... I actually picked up one of these kits for very cheap the other day.. I did have a question though, after I removed the standard airbox, there is a plastic shroud under the head light that helps direct air into the hole in the standard airbox.. is this left in there or replaced with the ss induction??

richardpalinkas

Blown Alloytec
Reaction score
Members Ride
Raptor Impulse VZ SV6
1. Turn OFF the ignition.
2.Restore the PCM battery feed, replace fuse 4.
3.Turn OFF the A/C controls.
4. Set the parking brake and block the drive wheels.
5.Start the engine.
6.Ensure that the engine coolant temperature is more than 80 Degrees.( Check
in Mode Up button).
7.Shift the transmission into Drive.
8.Allow the engine to idle for 5 minutes.
9.Shift the transmission into Park.
10.Allow the engine to idle for 5 minutes.
11.Turn OFF the engine for 30 seconds.

mark b

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore VS 1996 V6 Auto
What do you mean by "restore the pcm battery feed?"
I've seen heaps variations of this reset procedure...Where did you find this reset procedure?.......Most are similar to your method, thanks for the post but I'm keen for more detailed feedback. Everyone seems to have their own little way of doing a reset, some suggest different things for ecotec, alloytec or other. I want to know where these procedures originate? I have 3 holdens, the only thing mentioned in the service books is how to reset the PCM (disconnect battery 10 seconds, drive for 15-20 minutes)

In regard to a CAI install I'm not sure why it would need to be in park or idle, but I did think it would need some time of real driving on the road to re-learn
and re-adjust the air-fuel ratio properly. ???

I am currently installing Hydrogen-On-Demand systems which feed hydrogen into the air intake, the Computer Reset Procedure listed in the manual I have is different from any other reset procedure I have heard of, that is why I posted it and am keen for feedback.

richardpalinkas

Blown Alloytec
Reaction score
Members Ride
Raptor Impulse VZ SV6
This I found on a website that illustrates how to install an aftermarket cam in a Holden with an ls1 engine. Essentially it means whenever the battery is disconnected, you have to do this procedure, the feed I'd ignore because the ecu is disconnected in the cam install