Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VY SS overflow bottle on V6

Viiper

Reaction score
Members Ride
04/03 VY SPAC S1 3.8 NA
Hello everyone, was wondering if anyone has taken out the stock overflow bottle and replaced it with the SS ones, it looks cleaner but was wondering if there's anything I should take into consideration when changing it over, thanks.

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
The LS1 has a surge tank not an overflow bottle and I don't think it will work as an overflow bottle. The LS1 radiators don't have a radiator cap on them, the cap is on the surge tank. It would probably work if you use the LS1 radiator as well but you might have a problem with hose positions.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Hose positions are ok I believe. This is actually a mod I was considering on our L67.

lowandslow

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 III Monaro
V8 guys fit the hidden V6 bottle for a cleaner look (after doing the VZ V8 Radiator swap) and the V6 guys fit the ugly V8 header tank for a cleaner look? LOL

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
For me it's a functionality thing, the L67 is hard to bleed sometimes, with an expansion tank fitted that is higher than the engine bleeding is no longer a problem. Function over form for me, I'm not building a show car. With the clear expansion tank checking the coolant level is totally visual too, no removing radiator caps etc.