Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VY SS rear parcel shelf speaker wires

ris00

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Series 2 SS
Does anyone know if VY SS's come with wiring for the rear parcel shelf speakers? If so where is it?

I have asked two holden dealers and they both say it is there but i cant find it.

Cheers

chony

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy2 ss
i dont believe they do, i went to install a set of 6x9s the other day and was surprised to learn mine has no speakers in the rear shelf and i couldnt find any wiring. did you locate them yet? might have to extend the rear door ones? i dont know how to do it. any one have any ideas fo me. many thanks, chantelle

Lumps of cheese

welcome to the machine
Reaction score
Members Ride
83 vh sle, 4x4 hilux, 03 monaro, 07 nightrain
Ok guys, you will need to disconnect your back door speakers and run your wires from there.
I just did mine last weekend in my berlina and this was the way i did mine:
Remove the plastic strip next to your drivers seat(just lifts off with a screwdriver) and you'll find 4 spine head screws, undo these and the plastic section lifts up.
Under there is the wiring, this is where i joined mine because you can do both left and right speakers here.
Wire colors are as follows: Rear left(+)Brown/black(-)Yellow/blue.Rear right(+)Blue/orange(-)Blue/black.
Remove the whole plastic strip so you can hide your wires right to the back seat.
I take it you know you have to remove the back seat and parcel shelf to install them?
All i can say is it's well worth the effort, made a heap of difference to the sound quality!
If you need any more details or have any question please pm me and i'll be glad to help you.

ris00

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Series 2 SS
cheers for that ill try that.

chony

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy2 ss
hi. yeah i will do that tomorrow too. whats the deal with the parcel shelf , could the have made it any more curved , (vy ss). how do you over come it? can you buy speaker spacers or do you need to have a custom one made up? I have my new 6x9 bolted to the old one with bolts holding it there pretty tight, just looks very bodgy, i will hear them tomorrow. thanks for your help with the wires. chantelle

Lumps of cheese

welcome to the machine
Reaction score
Members Ride
83 vh sle, 4x4 hilux, 03 monaro, 07 nightrain
You don't need spacers, there is already a place under the parcel shelf for your 6x9 speakers.
All you need to do once you've removed the shelf is punch out the metal plate where the speaker goes, it is only spot welded in so lightly tap with a hammer and it'll fall right out.
Then just sit your speaker in place and drill your holes to hold it there.
Cut out the parcel shelf where the outline is and put your factory covers in while the shelf is out.

mk_re

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Acclaim
Im thinking about grabbing a high level input from this location, is there something i can use as a remote wire for my amp?

holdenboy

Custom Car Stereo Systems
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Wagon
Mate this thread is nearly 3 years old!!

Anyways, yeah tap into the speaker wiring before they run into the rear doors. I would personally tap into the ACC wire running to your head-unit (you can access it either at the back of the stereo or at the back of the fuse box), as the VYs keep the stereo on untill you open a door i believe? This way the amp / sub keeps playing with the stereo.

MEESEN

"SOON"
Reaction score
Members Ride
'03 VY
Ive heard that if you use the high level wires as an input its not worth the hastle, and that the only good way is to use phreddys mod. I dont understand why people are saying this... are they just promoting phreddys mod? Or why?

Cheers,