Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VY SS Replace Regulator on Altenator

VYSS_Black

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
My regulator in my standard gen 3 ls1 altenator is giving me problems and I need it replaced.

I have searched this forum and everyone is saying replace the switch on its own but when ever I call an auto elect they tell me it's cheaper to replace whole unit and nobody is willing to replace just the switch because they tell me it's built into the altenator.

What should I do? Should I just changeover whole unit? Or keep searching for an auto elec who is willing to fix just the switch?

richardpalinkas

Blown Alloytec
Reaction score
Members Ride
Raptor Impulse VZ SV6
It may be worth wile just replacing the whole unit that way you have warranty and you know it's new

franklinfrog

Reaction score
Website
www.cheapbrisbanebikes.com
Members Ride
VY SS Wagon 5.7 Auto Wikid Postie Bike
I haven't done this on my VY, only on my VN, but can't be too different right?

I bought a regulator from a wreckers for about $20, from behind the counter, one with nice long brushes. There was two screws on the back holding it into the alternator. They wanted about $50 for the whole alternator and I knew my regulator was worn so I just switched it over, fixed.

This link shows how to change brushes, I just swapped the whole regulator over. Now someone just needs to confirm that the LS1 alternator is as easy as this.....

https://forums.justcommodores.com.au/threads/bosch-alternator-fix-replace-regulator-brushes.191124

Fletch_QLD

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU II SS
I haven't done this on my VY, only on my VN, but can't be too different right?

I bought a regulator from a wreckers for about $20, from behind the counter, one with nice long brushes. There was two screws on the back holding it into the alternator. They wanted about $50 for the whole alternator and I knew my regulator was worn so I just switched it over, fixed.

Same for 6pack VX - cheap and easy as.

Now someone just needs to confirm that the LS1 alternator is as easy as this.....