Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vy ss running rough

VYSS03

Reaction score
Members Ride
03 Commodore vy ss
Good Afternoon guys, ive been having this issue with my ss its been happening to me for a little bit but dont know what the problem is its starting to piss me off
car is at temp and randomly it will start missing or something as if its got a lumpy af cam and looses power after 10-15 seconds it will go back to normal the leads and plugs have been changed i always make sure the leads haven't come loose or anything my mechanic has also said the coilpacks and o2 sensors are working how they should, the throttle body has been cleaned and theres definitely no vacuum leak either im scratching my head i dont know what it could be any ideas, im ready to scrap it lol also it only happens every now and then sometimes when it cold as well.

PlenumBiscuit

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Commodore
just try another coil pack and dfi more especially the dfi

if its crank angle sensor it will stall when hot but just pour water on the cas and see if it changes.

u might have vaccum hoses leak, i changed and clamped up all vaccuum hoses only 20 bucks i guess or u might have manifold cracks

else the MAF could be making it sickly

done your fuel filter?

VYSS03

Reaction score
Members Ride
03 Commodore vy ss
just try another coil pack and dfi more especially the dfi

if its crank angle sensor it will stall when hot but just pour water on the cas and see if it changes.

u might have vaccum hoses leak, i changed and clamped up all vaccuum hoses only 20 bucks i guess or u might have manifold cracks

else the MAF could be making it sickly

done your fuel filter?
Thanks for the response, ill have to check the coils again and im not sure about the dfi, the pcv hose got changed 2 months ago(previous one had cracks) and also replaced the small one from the throttle body/intake into the rocker cover, might have to take a look at the maf sensor could be dirty or stuffed fuel filter hasnt been done so ill definitely change that asap

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
Do you get an engine light when it does this? Probably pay to get a scan and look for trouble codes before you spend a few grand replacing all the potential causes

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
Good Afternoon guys, ive been having this issue with my ss its been happening to me for a little bit but dont know what the problem is its starting to piss me off
car is at temp and randomly it will start missing or something as if its got a lumpy af cam and looses power after 10-15 seconds it will go back to normal the leads and plugs have been changed i always make sure the leads haven't come loose or anything my mechanic has also said the coilpacks and o2 sensors are working how they should, the throttle body has been cleaned and theres definitely no vacuum leak either im scratching my head i dont know what it could be any ideas, im ready to scrap it lol also it only happens every now and then sometimes when it cold as well.
It does sound electronic or something electronically controlled due to the problem being intermittent. Seeing as you only need fuel, spark and compression for the engine to work it has to be related to fuel or spark as compression problems (and vacuum leaks) can‘t really be intermittent.

Without being able to run live data on the engine while it’s happening though it might be difficult to track down.

VYSS03

Reaction score
Members Ride
03 Commodore vy ss
Do you get an engine light when it does this? Probably pay to get a scan and look for trouble codes before you spend a few grand replacing all the potential causes
No engine light at all, its quite frustrating that it only does it every now and then my mechanic had it scanned and nothing everything is apparently working how it should

VYSS03

Reaction score
Members Ride
03 Commodore vy ss
It does sound electronic or something electronically controlled due to the problem being intermittent. Seeing as you only need fuel, spark and compression for the engine to work it has to be related to fuel or spark as compression problems (and vacuum leaks) can‘t really be intermittent.

Without being able to run live data on the engine while it’s happening though it might be difficult to track down.
Thats the frustrating thing that it only happens every now and then, its mainly when its at temp or on a nice hot day that it happens sometimes and it sounds even worse like its running on 4 cylinders

vr304

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 ssv manual
I’m thinking it sounds like the crank angle sensor going out intermittently but that’s just a guess, could try replacement and see what happen?

Batca

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf ssv sportwagon
Coil issue can come and go and get worse when hot.
If you have a timing light when the car is playing up put it on each lead and see if they are all firing.
Used this method to fix an outboard motor that had a failed coil as the problem was intermittent. Changed two coils over and problem swapped cylinders