Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vy ss service

94calais

Reaction score
Members Ride
03 5.7 vy ss
hi all, just a quick question, i've always serviced my old cars myself, oil, filter and plugs, just wondering am i able to do the service myself on the vy ss it's not under warranty or anything just wondering if holden maybe setup something on them so it could only be done by a shop, cheers

ARATIC

Reaction score
Members Ride
Hot House VY SS
Nope your good to do it yourself.

Even the service vehicle soon warning can be cleared yourself (not sure how myself though)

faBReGaS

Reaction score
Members Ride
251rwkw VY SS
Nope you can do it yourself. Piece of cake! Under the car there should be an aluminium cover with 4 bolts, a 13mm spanner/socket from memory should fit, which is protecting your sump, remove that then you have your 15mm sump bolt to drain your oil. The filter isn't too far from there, just underneath the passenger side :) when the service warning comes up on your dash, to get rid of it do as follows: make sure your car is off, hold down the up and down arrows on your trip computer, turn your car on while still holding the arrows, it will then ask you if you want to reset your service, press set and then it should reset :)

If you don't mind me asking, what oil are you using and how many k's has your SS done?

94calais

Reaction score
Members Ride
03 5.7 vy ss
thanks for the help guys, it's done 176,000km not sure which oil yet to use in this 1 but in any of the other cars i've had i always used castrol gtx3 never had probs, which oil do any of you recommend on newer cars

faBReGaS

Reaction score
Members Ride
251rwkw VY SS
Well i used to use Castrol Edge 5w 30 full synthetic in the SS but it's just got to 140,000kms so 5w 30 is a bit thin.. Past 20,000kms I've been using Nulon 10w 40 full synthetic and I can't remember the last time I heard the lifters ticking :). I try to stick to a fully synthetic.. I reckon it runs better in the LS1s and I highly recommend nulon as it's Australian made and made to suit our climate :)

nick_

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY II V6
A lot of the ls1 crowd swear by castrol edge 10w60. With your 'extensive' kms, it would be a good idea to give it a try. Most ls1's love it although a very small percentage don't like it.

ARATIC

Reaction score
Members Ride
Hot House VY SS
I haven't heard of any LS1 owners with bad words to say about 10w40 oils be it semi or fully synthetic. I'm running Mobil 1 0W40 at the moment as I got given it but thinking of changing to Mobil 2000 10W40 next change, and changing it more often thereafter

STEEV888

Reaction score
Members Ride
'95 200sx.
nulon 10w40 fully synthetic. its the only way to go

faBReGaS

Reaction score
Members Ride
251rwkw VY SS
As nick_ stated I have also heard a lot of the ls1 crowd going for a 10w 60 but to be honest it's pretty thick... I personally wouldn't drop down to a 0w 40 either as the 0w is wayyyyyy too thin especially concidering most engine wear is done when u start your car! I've done heaps of research into this topic a while back, and I wouldn't really touch castrol magnetec 10w 40. It's a semi synthetic oil which they say leaves a coat on as the oil drops when your car is off but IMO it creates sludge in your motor. Considering it's only $30 from your nearest auto shop it's up to you whether you want to put a cheap oil in your car or not. As for the Nulon 10w 40 it's proven up against the likes of Mobil 1, go on YouTube and you see a couple of dyno runs Nulon vs Mobil 1. 10w 40 is perfect for the LS1s and Nulon Is made for Australian weather conditions. Each to their own mate but nothing else is going in my car unless I order Mobil 1 from America as their oils are made better than ours and have a fully synthetic mobil 1 10w 40 where as we don't :) in the end it's up to whatever you choose dude goodluck.

Drewie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS (Original owner).
If you go to the 'Australian LS1 and Holden Forum' and search for oils, probably the 2 most popular oils are the 10w60 Castrol Edge and the Magnatec. Penrite seems to have given a few problems, and the Mobil 1 is not that popular either. If you have an LS1 that is the forum for good info.